What's new

chondrite fragment?

rockpassion

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
540
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
is this a chondrite fragment?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251208_151624.webp
    IMG_20251208_151624.webp
    558.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20251208_151727.webp
    IMG_20251208_151727.webp
    328.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20251208_151754.webp
    IMG_20251208_151754.webp
    406.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20251210_120702_1.webp
    IMG_20251210_120702_1.webp
    620.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20251210_120713_1.webp
    IMG_20251210_120713_1.webp
    422.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20251210_120637.webp
    IMG_20251210_120637.webp
    682.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20251210_120925.webp
    IMG_20251210_120925.webp
    486.3 KB · Views: 44
When will the message get through that most meteorites cannot be identified from pictures alone... unless there are obvious meteoritic features?

I don't see any such features here.
 
When will the message get through that most meteorites cannot be identified from pictures alone... unless there are obvious meteoritic features?

I don't see any such features here.
How many NWA weathered chondrites are being sold with similair features and yet people buy them. And i bet you know very well what a weathered chondrite looks like when you hunt in arizona. And i am sorry that you overlook the black melt in my specimen. But i think the meteorite people don´t want you to find a meteorite. Anyway pointles to post on this forum i have noticed that so i won´t post anymore at your amusement.
 
How many NWA weathered chondrites are being sold with similair features and yet people buy them. And i bet you know very well what a weathered chondrite looks like when you hunt in arizona. And i am sorry that you overlook the black melt in my specimen. But i think the meteorite people don´t want you to find a meteorite. Anyway pointles to post on this forum i have noticed that so i won´t post anymore at your amusement.

What a very sad response.

Most of the 'weathered NWA chondrites' are what they claim to be with varying degrees of supporting evidence. Those from reputable dealers are often from known strewnfields in the vicinity of the Algerian border or have other supporting evidence. Fakes (or rather misrepresentations) are also being sold, but most of them are claiming to be nickel-irons rather than chondrites.

Of course I know what a weathered chondrite typically looks like... but I also know how many terrestrial rocks can have a similar appearance. What you refer to as 'black melt' in your specimen is not an adequate diagnostic for a meteorite.

I firmly do not believe that 'the meteorite people' don't want you to find a meteorite. New finds are to be lauded, not suppressed.

Your posts do not so much amuse me as bemuse me. What is obvious is your desperation to find a meteorite. That's a quest in which I sincerely wish you the very best of luck - but it's not the case that every odd-looking rock which you're unable to immediately identify deserves consideration as a meteorite candidate if it displays no obvious characteristic features. Nor is it the case that rock specimens lacking common meteoritic composition must be from rare classes of meteorite as you have sometimes asserted.

Keep looking but be aware that, unless you are prepared to travel, your location is a limiting factor in terms of probability for meteorite finds.
 
What a very sad response.

Most of the 'weathered NWA chondrites' are what they claim to be with varying degrees of supporting evidence. Those from reputable dealers are often from known strewnfields in the vicinity of the Algerian border or have other supporting evidence. Fakes (or rather misrepresentations) are also being sold, but most of them are claiming to be nickel-irons rather than chondrites.

Of course I know what a weathered chondrite typically looks like... but I also know how many terrestrial rocks can have a similar appearance. What you refer to as 'black melt' in your specimen is not an adequate diagnostic for a meteorite.

I firmly do not believe that 'the meteorite people' don't want you to find a meteorite. New finds are to be lauded, not suppressed.

Your posts do not so much amuse me as bemuse me. What is obvious is your desperation to find a meteorite. That's a quest in which I sincerely wish you the very best of luck - but it's not the case that every odd-looking rock which you're unable to immediately identify deserves consideration as a meteorite candidate if it displays no obvious characteristic features. Nor is it the case that rock specimens lacking common meteoritic composition must be from rare classes of meteorite as you have sometimes asserted.

Keep looking but be aware that, unless you are prepared to travel, your location is a limiting factor in terms of probability for meteorite finds.
I must say i like your reaction, and yes i am sort of addicted in finding a meteorite because i have been bitten by the meteorite virus as i was just 10 years old. Since been hunting for 40 years learning every local earth rock and every kind of meteorite that has ever been found . Love weird rocks. But oke, i want to ask you was is this feature/material in the main mass i have found. I has a smooth wavy surface and forms veins throughout the whole rock.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251210_205952.webp
    IMG_20251210_205952.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20251210_205938_1.webp
    IMG_20251210_205938_1.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
I must say i like your reaction, and yes i am sort of addicted in finding a meteorite because i have been bitten by the meteorite virus as i was just 10 years old. Since been hunting for 40 years learning every local earth rock and every kind of meteorite that has ever been found . Love weird rocks. But oke, i want to ask you was is this feature/material in the main mass i have found. I has a smooth wavy surface and forms veins throughout the whole rock.

Thanks. When I don't know, I will say so, and in this case I don't know. But I see common igneous features, not something definitive for a meteorite.
 
These are "Gold Basin Meteorite" fragments. L4-6 Ordinary Chondrites I detected.
 

Attachments

  • gtr 001.webp
    gtr 001.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 44
  • gtr 004.webp
    gtr 004.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 47
These are "Gold Basin Meteorite" fragments. L4-6 Ordinary Chondrites I detected.
thank you, do you have clean ones so i can see the weathered surface especialy broken surface. and do you have specimens with slickensides?
 
wow nobody has anything to say about what this rock is ?????????
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251206_140711.webp
    IMG_20251206_140711.webp
    519.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20251206_140720_1.webp
    IMG_20251206_140720_1.webp
    644.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20251206_140749_1.webp
    IMG_20251206_140749_1.webp
    619.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20251206_140838_1.webp
    IMG_20251206_140838_1.webp
    695.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20251206_140819_1.webp
    IMG_20251206_140819_1.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Unless it is certified by a qualified professional, you have a rock.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom