What's new

Christmas Tree points.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I like the shape of them.

Anyone else have any?

A7F09225-4DCB-4CFF-9F46-B5A5B2914FEA.webp
 
Upvote 0
I did this a couple years back to put on Facebook. The Palmer is a personal find and the Beads are Glass and Shell from California.

Second picture is the same Point in the middle along with two more found on the same site, same day.

Merry Christmas everyone!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    289.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    154 KB · Views: 54
Green as I got. Merry Christmas, everybody.

green.webp green1.webp
 
I am 100% positive the material is Harrison County flint. This material is one of favorite materials. I used to find a lot of this material in the 1980's and 90's. Now not as common to find for me.

I think I find it more Harrison County material in certain areas.

I have had a number of relic pictured in Lars books, and was friends with him up till he passed.

One interesting aspect of Harrison County material is in the manner it patina's. In its natural state its a dark bluish or blackish color, hard to get the shading exact. I think the color is dependent on the minerals in the earth in the location it forms the large nodules and in the actual size of the nodules.

I have found Harrison County relic next to each other, at the same time, same hunt, were on is a dark blackish and the other within inches has a nice light chocolate patina. Or another time I found a relic where one side was the light chocolate patina and the other not hardly patina'ed at all. Possibly influenced by sunlight and ground minerals and the sun light rays, visible or invisible spectrum, having an influence on the patina formation.

Note the colors on this relic I found in 1989. The arrows point to the area where the natural stone color is seen.
20191222_110639B.webp

The tip is a nick, the nick exposed the natural color when the patina was removed on the flake.

The other arrows point to an area where the relic, I am guessing picked up at a later date, had a spokeshave knapped into the edge.

Some may discount that spokeshave. Thats ok - its armchair authentication at that point. The spoke shave is an intentional knapped area - the middle arrow points to finer secondary knapping. If you zoom into the area under the rightmost arrow you can also make out additional knapping on the edge.

The main take away from this is the material patination.
 
Here’s one that rarely comes out of its case. It’s the one that got me started.
Susquehanna Broad Blade
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577118280.433979.webp

Merry Christmas Everyone!
 
Killer, Muck!
 
Don’t most arrowheads look like Christmas trees????
 
Don’t most arrowheads look like Christmas trees????

There are a heap that don't. Bulltongue Simpson, Hardaway, Boggy Branch, Cowhouse Slough, Clovis...speaking of a Bulltongue Simpson, finding one sure would make my Christmas!
 
Don’t most arrowheads look like Christmas trees????

None of mine look like Christmas trees. That’s why I posted the fern. I’m going to find a Pine Tree next year and change that...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
20191117_145937.webp
I've shown these before but I think they qualify as " Christmas Tree" points.
 
Wow. I remember the feeling of finding pieces like that. Must have put a thrill up your leg like Chris Mathews. Wow!
Thanks. I was really thrilled to find it. I showed it in-situ to my hunting buddy and have a great picture of him laying on the ground next to it flipping me off :). Good times. Always hard to find a nice archaic piece.
 
Like the fern fossil. I found several in Missouri, back the 80's, in the park outside Whiteman AFB, while hunting arrowheads. Now I wish I had been more interested in them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom