Cistern for bottles?

quicksilver

Apr 5, 2005
Wisconsin
Hi,
I am searching an old farmhouse foundation and barn site. I came across a possible cistern in the ground that opens about 3 feet below the dirt surface. It is filled with dirt on the bottom so I don't know the exact depth. It is composed of concrete and is circular. About 2-3" thick, circular walls. It is located near the rock wall (in the building). A pipe extends out from the wall about 10 feet. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to dig this up for bottles. Let me know your thoughts and expertise. Thank you.

Matt

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yes, cisterns can contain bottles, but you must be very carefull when digging them out, they can collapse very easily. If you do decide to excavate this let us know what you find!

OP
OP
quicksilver

quicksilver

Apr 5, 2005
Wisconsin
Hi,
I searched about a foot down from the soil line and found nothing but rocks and soil and some glass fragments. The fragments were flat, representative of window glass. I did find Blue-spotted Salamanders, too. Maybe if I dig down farther I might find something, but I don't want to risk it alone.

Matt

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
There could be some bottles or metal artifacts down there still, i always find window glass at old sites too. If you cant find a partner, then try digging it really really wide so it cant collapse, that might work but it would be alot more work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread