What's new

CIVIL WAR BULLET ID HELP? PLEASE?

spudnutt

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2011
Messages
71
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this up over the weekend. Can anyone help ID what type of bullet it is? I've never dug one quite like this one before.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!~
 

Attachments

  • bullet1.webp
    bullet1.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 508
  • bullet2.webp
    bullet2.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 927
  • bullet3.webp
    bullet3.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 686
Maybe some type of williams cleaner :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
someone also told me it could be an exploding bullet. Is anyone familiar with these? I've never heard of one before.
 
Upvote 0
What you have is a type 3 williams cleaner without the zinc base.
 
Upvote 0
I believe it could be a williams cleaner bullet. I dug a bigger one with a hole in the bottom like that it baffled me for a while then it just hit me I realized that it was a williams cleaner with the zinc part missing. I believe what you have is a type of williams cleaner with the zinc missing not sure though. Nice find.
 
Upvote 0
Breezie posted one here that looks exactly like yours (also missing the base-plug) about a week ago. So, my answer is the same as I told her.

Your bullet is definitely an unfired civil war era Williams Type 3 "Bore-cleaner" bullet. The Type 3 made its first appearance on the battlefield in Summer 1863, and was used through the end of the war. All of the Williams bullets are .58-caliber, and all of them were strictly yankee-made. Here's a photo showing some Type 3 Williams bullets, with and without their base-plug (which some people call the "thumbtack" because it was a separate piece that was simply pushed into the bullet's base during manufacture).
 

Attachments

  • bullets_WilliamsCleaner-Type3_basethumbtacks_Ebay.webp
    bullets_WilliamsCleaner-Type3_basethumbtacks_Ebay.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,306
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom