What's new

Civil War Eagle Button!

VTColonialDigger

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2016
Messages
856
Reaction score
2,266
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP ORX, Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out this morning to try to find something in my yard. I went to a couple places in my yard, but had zero luck finding anything. Then I remembered a trusty spot in my yard where I had found an abundance of mid-late 1800s relics, every time I went there I found something good. I knew I had hunted the main part of this spot pretty much out, so I started by hunting around the outskirts. Getting a low tone I back up, thinking my machine had picked up my brass eyelet on my shoe. Then I go over the spot again and it is still there, a nice button sized target. I dig the plug and then check it getting a low tone towards the middle of the plug. My Propointer tells me my target is a button sized object, but I am sill surprised when a button pops out. After spraying the button with water I see the eagle on the front. At first I think it's a modern (WWI to WWII) great seal button, not being a civil war or a button expert. Then I notice 1. the design and 2. the head. I noticed that the design did not have the circle with the stars over the head. I also notice that the head looks like the eagle's head on the Flying Eagle Cents of the 1850s. I thought that it COULD be a Civil War button, but wasn't sure. After some research of the name on the backmark: SCOVILL Mfg Co. WATERBURY I found out that this button has a date range of 1850-1865.

civilwareaglebutton.webp
My button seem to be in fairly good shape, considering other examples I have seen of dug Civil War Eagle buttons.

Possibly a Civil War vet lived in my house, since I am nowhere near any Civil War campsites/battles


GL&HH from Vermont!
 
Upvote 32
thats a very nice button!
 
Buttons are cool. Great job
 
wish i could make a find like that in my yard. awesome find. congrats!!!!!!!
 
I found the very same button last week, not sure what it is
 
very nice condition. I got one and it doesn't look nearly that good.
 
Great button! Nice find! Say Hi to the mountains for me, I was born in Burlington. :) H Digs
 
I would be happy with that one, great job!
 
Awesome button--nice shape, too. Congrats. -Lisa & John
 
Great find and save on the Eagle Button.
 
Congratualtions on the very nice button find! :occasion14:
 
Those Gen Service Civil War Eagle button are usually hit or miss , The op got a Homerun on this one.
 
Great find - and in your yard to boot! Congrats on your first of that kind.

John
 
Congrats on a great button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom