Civil war Era Button

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Here is a button I dug a few weeks back. It was very interesting so I thought I would post it. It was made by the scovill mf'g co waterbury. It is about the size of a quarter and is domed shaped like the general service eagle buttons. At the top it has the letters N.G. In the middle it has 2 riffles crossing one another like an x in the middle of the button. Below that has the letters N.J. I did some research and the button was made between 1850-1865. I think it is a national guard button from new jersey. I wasn't able to find much on civil war items from new jersey. It made me then realize that the button may be somewhat rare. If anyone out there has a good button reference book and could tell me a value and rarity would be great. If not could someone maybe back me up on what this button may actually be if I was wrong. Thanks again to all HH Jeremy.

Attachments

• Army Button.jpg
    Army Button.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 176

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
according to Alberts book you have a New Jersey National Guard button.He also has it in his back mark as 1850-1865,but If you look at the same backmark in McGuuinn&Bazelon's book which is more in depth on backmarks it also has it listed as witht he rmdc and impressed,on many different US and state militia buttons c1850-1860;impressed small lettered backmark's date c1850-1870;large lettered backmark date's c1870 on.The rarity is very low at rv1 according to ALberts.meanig there are so many meda its not a rare find.Hope this helps you out bud.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot Daniel for the quick response. I just basically wanted a backup of what I already knew. I wanted to know if my research was correct. Wasn't sure about the rarity so I decided to ask. If it's a common button than I won't do anything with it but add it to all the other common millitary buttons I have. Thanks alot for clearing this one up for me. I didn't want to have a rare button just lieing around with minimal protection for it. Thanks again Take care Jeremy.

Upvote 0

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
no problem.I kinda laughed at alberts book,because for NJ he has Revolutionary buttons then post Rev...Just kinda funny.Its unfortunate that scovill has so many b/m's,and in most cases on-line you find what the moajority is.But with McGuin and Bazelon's book that helps out alot better,and Im glad to have help'd you out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys. Yeah I thought it was still a neat button I didn't see every day. With living in pittsburgh P.A. I wasn't sure how that one ended up here. Still had a good bit of gilt on it to. Was lucky it cleaned nice. It was found on the surface about 2 weeks ago in a park that dates back to the late 1800's. Right before I found the button I dug a 1931 class ring from a high school.

Good Luck Guys Jeremy.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread