Civil War era telegraph wire INSULATOR collector: I need your wisdom!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging for a bullet in a Virginia trench, and out popped this telegraph wire insulator. I was told it's called a "top hat" or "Puritan's hat" and could be Richmond made. Found one example like mine online, going to auction with an "estimated sale value" of $1800 - $2200. Said it was a rare CW "Puritan's hat" style, but no info on whether Southern or Northern Manufacture.

The auction example is complete, while mine is obviously VERY broken. I would assume it has virtually no value, but if anybody can tell me anything about it, I would really appreciate it. Can't figure out how it got into a trench, but a small fort was about 100 yards away. Wonder if the fort had telegraph communication with Richmond? (Less than 10 miles away)

IMG_4988.JPG IMG_4989.JPG IMG_4990.JPG

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, and it still has some value as it is. I found one just like it while bottle digging back in the late 1980's. Mine was split perfectly down the middle like yours, but did not have the chips on the skirt. The insulators collectors called that kind of break a "freeze pop", from water getting in the pin hole, then freezing and making that type of split right down the middle. I took mine to the bottle show in Baltimore in the late 80's, and sold it to the first insulator collector that offered me $100 for it. I might have gotten more for it if I had shopped it around, and it may be worth more or less these days, just letting you know for a point of reference. Good luck and HH.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! All I can tell you off hand is that it's fairly early due to it being threadless. I collected insulators years ago and have a fairly large collection in storage and I've never found a threadless like that. It's a shame it's broken, since broken pieces really don't have a lot of value but being early there's a good chance a collector would be interested in it.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say there is value in that.... In fact i'd buy it for $150 or $200 : ) i'd say bring it to D.P. Newton owner of White Oak museum in Stafford..

Upvote 0

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't give any details, but that's a very cool find and I would think it would still have some value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Redbeard, Nola and Stonewall. And DANG Hut! You must've been huntin' my backyard again in the neck and have money to burn! Appreciate the tip, and just might take it to the museum guy next time I'm up that way.

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Insulator is called a Lefferts Threadless.It was used from 1847 to 1860s .If you would like to see one complete Google Lefferts cd 737.I found it in my book of Insultors but there is no info on it.Nice find

Upvote 0
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG osage! Thank you! You were dead on the money. And one sold on Ebay (complete) for $2800. I thought the other auction estimate was a bit crazy, but this thing is the REAL deal. Wow. Too bad she ain't whole . . . !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread