agent132

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Garett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this about 6" down not far from Balls Bluff area on private property. Not sure but it looks like some kind of tobacco pipe, but possibly made of some kind of lead or metal? Not sure. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

-G photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! I've always wanted to find a pipe. I'm sure someone here will be able to help ID it

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Your statements a confusing.
lead is a metal.
If you found it with a metal detector it is or contains metal.
I dont know of any cast metal pipes from civil war era.
A guess would be the leg from a hollow cast animal figure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

agent132

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Garett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taz42o, I only said possibly lead because I had read there have been some lead tobacco bubble pipes recovered in the past, so they do exist. Additionally pipes have been made from copper and pewter (which also contains lead) as well.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/255780-lead-tobacco-pipe.html
But you are correct, it may be a leg to a figurine or something too. But the area it was found (near Balls Bluff battlefield area) and the depth indicate its definitely older and there's a chance its from the CW era, not sure what a soldier would need a figurine for!

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hello agent132,

What is the diameter of the bore, and does it continue into the "bowl"? I would think, that if it were a smoking pipe, it would smoke very hot and harshly.

Perhaps a candle snuffer…

il_570xN.321272784.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think HuntinDog is on the right track with a spout to a tea or coffee pot.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about some kind of gunpowder horn?
A gunpowder horn would normally have been made from a horn, although I see what you are thinking like it could be the pouring spout off of some type of powder flask, possibly leather flask with that as the spout but the only problem with that is how would it have attached.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread