tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20150818_085007.jpg 20150818_085045.jpg 20150818_085020.jpg Went out for a few hours last night because I couldn't handle the thought of going one more hour without doing some digging! Its been so hot and humid, but I said to heck with it. Spent about three hours finding, square nails, a scabbard tip with lead finial, a three ringer, smaller caliber two ringer, and what appears to be a tent spike that may have been used in for a tent or something.

Then at about 1 AM I said to myself I am going to dig one more thing and I am done. That's when I got a real solid squeal on the AT Pro. Dug about 4" and come unglued when the plate was staring back at me. This is my first plate and it couldn't be any more beautiful. Barely any bending or cracking and the back clips are still intact. I know there were several US plates styles, can anyone elaborate on this style or possible value of the buckle? I would never sell it because it is priceless to me but I would still like to give it a monetary value if possible. Thanks for looking and HH everyone!!!:headbang:

Upvote 18

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, that is in great shape.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations On your 1st US Belt Plate & Dam nice one at that.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one really nice find. The AT PRO did good on that find. Perhaps you should contact Garrett and have your story published.
I would have it professionally restored and matched to a nice leather belt, and then wear it.
Now I know it would have to be a "CS" Buckle for a good Ole boy from Tennessee to wear, but I think it might be acceptable at MD Club gatherings or seeded hunts. lol

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first plate! That one is a real beauty! That is a relic high up on my to find list

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one great looking plate! I don't recall seeing one posted recently in that sort of condition. Excellent find.

I've found two CW plates.... one looks like it was stepped on my 1,000 horses and the other looks like it was melted in a fire. ha

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking waist belt plate! The majority of dug plates these days are in a lot worse condition. You can go to any one of the online relic shops and get a good idea of the retail value. I would guess it around $200-250.

Try Harry Ridgeway's site. He has a lot of buckles for sale.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that IS in fantastic shape! A real beauty. What kind of soil did you find it in? I think the $250 (maybe a little more in that shape) mark is about right. The narrow letters and arrowhead hooks put it at mid to late war. I know there is a huge price difference in sizes, but I don't know how to tell sizes. Yours is not the single hook "baby" and the larger buckle is the standard. The medium size buckle is worth a lot more, but I confess I don't know how to tell a medium from a large. Somebody here will chime in . . .

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there it is, the holy grail in my opinion. Don't get much cooler than that! Congratulations

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is in Very Nice Condition.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT looking buckle. Congrats!:occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a awesome looking buckle

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! congrats on finding your first plate! looks to be in great condition. that patina looks just like the ones that come out of Murfreesboro. I would say that the $200-$250 range would be about right for that plate. but, I don't keep up much with the prices, so I could be off. I would leave it exactly as it is. someone suggested restoring it and wearing it. that would be shame to destroy it by doing that. anyway, congratulations!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful looking plate, it'll look great in a display.

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I walk by it every hour just to look at it again. The soil it came out of is rich as 6 feet up a bulls a**. I'm really surprised with the little amount of deterioration. Just glad I didn't hit it while digging. We had some rain in the past few days so the ground was good and loose. The buckle came from around Murfreesboro which makes sense that it would have that patina! I don't plan on doing anything else to the buckle, I lightly wiped the dirt off the front and back and that is it. Now on to finding a CSA plate which is a little more difficult to find!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the awesome buckle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread