Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all.

I went to an old civil war era house today. I have hit there before and found lots of good finds. My 1st find was a 1889 Indian head cent!! Dig some more and found my 1st carved 3 ringer. It appears that it had been carved to match with the newer bullets they used in the civil war later on. The ones with the gaps in between them. You can see where it ahs been carved out around the rim. Also found a half of a Ky token and an artillary friction primer. I also have a whatsit! It is an iron piece but appears to have a name on the side. From what I can figure out it appears to say Evelyn Gilmon? Any ideas what it is? I figured it may be a piece from the printing press. Or maybe a personal stamp? Thanks!!

Attachments

• PIC_3207.JPG
    PIC_3207.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,516
  • hannahs sell 184.jpg
    hannahs sell 184.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,598
  • hannahs sell 183.jpg
    hannahs sell 183.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,608
  • hannahs sell 182.jpg
    hannahs sell 182.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,529
  • hannahs sell 181.jpg
    hannahs sell 181.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,538
  • PIC_3216.JPG
    PIC_3216.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,532
  • PIC_3215.JPG
    PIC_3215.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,521
  • PIC_3213.JPG
    PIC_3213.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • PIC_3209.JPG
    PIC_3209.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,511
  • hannahs sell 185.jpg
    hannahs sell 185.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,649
Upvote 0

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds!

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I am really curious about the plate with the name on it. If anyone could assist me on finding out what it was used for, I would greatly appreciate it! THANKS! :icon_thumleft:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure of the actual name ,but its like a stamp, or used to print the name onto paper, if you notice the name is printed backwards.

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The "whatsit" is a typeset block, bearing a name that appears to be Evelyn Gibson (with the 4th letter in the surname partially obscured, this is somewhat of an assumption). Typeset pieces were used for a few centuries in printing presses. Most typeset blocks bear individual letters in various fonts, that were arranged to form the desired words, phrases, and sentences, to be displayed in printed ink on paper or comparable material. In the instances where a name might be repeatedly used (such as an editor, author, notable dignitary, etc.), a full name might be ordered from the maker of the typeset blocks, and kept on file in the typeset cabinet. These typeset blocks may in fact be often made of lead-tin alloy, rather than iron. :read2:

http://www.today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/PRN-prof-revives-lost-art-of-printing-press-111145.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_type

CC Hunter

Attachments

• TypeSet EvelynGibson.jpg
    TypeSet EvelynGibson.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,383

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter said:
The "whatsit" is a typeset block, bearing a name that appears to be Evelyn Gibson (with the 4th letter in the surname partially obscured, this is somewhat of an assumption). Typeset pieces were used for a few centuries in printing presses. Most typeset blocks bear individual letters in various fonts, that were arranged to form the desired words, phrases, and sentences, to be displayed in printed ink on paper or comparable material. In the instances where a name might be repeatedly used (such as an editor, author, notable dignitary, etc.), a full name might be ordered from the maker of the typeset blocks, and kept on file in the typeset cabinet. The typeset block is in fact made of lead-tin alloy, rather than iron. :read2:

http://www.today.ucla.edu/portal/ut/PRN-prof-revives-lost-art-of-printing-press-111145.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_type

CC Hunter

As referred to as a whatsit in the original post. SO, CC Hunter a little lesson for you. A "whatsit" for us ed-u-ma-cated folks is as follows:

DEFINTION-"whatsit [ˈwɒtsɪt], whatsitsname masculine, whatshisname feminine, whatshername
n(that means its a noun CC Hunter :tongue3:)
Informal a person or thing the name of which is unknown, temporarily forgotten, or deliberately overlooked"

So, CC. Lets begin. Evelyn Gibson is a whatsit. She is a person of which the name is unknown.

CHEERS!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
As referred to as a whatsit in the original post. SO, CC Hunter a little lesson for you. A "whatsit" for us ed-u-ma-cated folks is as follows:

DEFINTION-"whatsit [ˈwɒtsɪt], whatsitsname masculine, whatshisname feminine, whatshername
n(that means its a noun CC Hunter tongue3)
Informal a person or thing the name of which is unknown, temporarily forgotten, or deliberately overlooked"

So, CC. Lets begin. Evelyn Gibson is a whatsit. She is a person of which the name is unknown.

CHEERS!

What is the point? :icon_scratch:

The word "whatsit" was used in my post with quotation marks, in reference to the use in context by the original poster. ::)

On metal detecting forums, terms such as whatzits, whatsit, what-is-its, thingamajig, and similar, are often used to denote items of unknown usage or origin (Note: the "What Is It?" forum on this very site). :wink:

The purpose of providing information on this particular recently found item, was in hopes of detailing a logical analysis for the finder, in regards to the actual origin or use of the relic in question. If and when the discussions here possibly delve into debating written or spoken language use, origin, evolution, comprehension, and interpretation; the topic material will undoubtedly be nearly as endless as all of our Unidentified Found Objects (or UFO's for a simpler term). :laughing7:

CC Hunter

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter said:

n(that means its a noun CC Hunter tongue3)

CHEERS!

What is the point? :icon_scratch:

The word "whatsit" was used in my post with quotation marks, in reference to the use in context by the original poster. ::)

On metal detecting forums, terms such as whatzits, whatsit, what-is-its, thingamajig, and similar, are often used to denote items of unknown usage or origin (Note: the "What Is It?" forum on this very site). :wink:

The purpose of providing information on this particular recently found item, was in hopes of detailing a logical analysis for the finder, in regards to the actual origin or use of the relic in question. If and when the discussions here possibly delve into debating written or spoken language use, origin, evolution, comprehension, and interpretation; the topic material will undoubtedly be nearly as endless as all of our Unidentified Found Objects (or UFO's for a simpler term). :laughing7:

CC Hunter

CC, why you gos ta use dem big ole' words wit wittol ole me. I canza unzerstand dem big wordz. Yous a so smart CC. I wanna b be like you ones day CC Shakespeare. :tongue3: :help:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bullet and IH !

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disclaimer: I am NOT a Civil War artifact person, have no bullet knowledge.

That said, I have an alternative suggestion for that neat carved bullet - possible toggle for a replacement button or attachment? If I wanted to make another line on the bullet, I'd just place it on my knee and rotate it with my knife pressing in, to make a thin line. This seems way too crude for that? JMHO.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the point?

I agree, where did this cat come from? Joined yesterday.
CC ... looks like you have a forum stalker.

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter said:

Hill Billy,

Is your avatar for hire as a bodyguard? ;D

In your dreams! :laughing7:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
CC Hunter said:

Hill Billy,

Is your avatar for hire as a bodyguard? ;D

You betcha, I'll let her know when she gets home.
She can now quit her job shootin squirrels for supper.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
olekyground,Glad to see you learnt that machine good,you'll learn more too!! God Bless Chris

MetalDetector27

Jan 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]

Can you define "troll" now?
[/quote]

troll/trōl/
Noun:
1. A mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.(I am good looking)

2. The action of trolling for fish.
Verb:
Fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat: "we trolled for mackerel".

I prefer trolling for Musky or Striped Bass. You guys take this way tooooo seriously. :argue:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Despite this thread heading the wrong way , nice finds, especially the Green IH. As far as the Evelyn goes, looks like some kind of printing press or stamp. HH Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread