What's new

Civil War Lead Identification.

JustOneMorePlug

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
177
Reaction score
937
Golden Thread
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone help identify what type of rifle this may have been fired from? Is it union of confedrate? I found it in an area where I’ve already recovered several Minie balls, but this one is different from the others. Thanks ! 20260226_212853.webp20260226_212839.webp20260226_212742.webp20260226_212654.webp
 
Upvote 5
Can you post some clearer pictures of just the bullet in question, couple of angles, please? Where, directionally, were they found?
Found in NC 20260227_071221.webp 20260227_071105.webp20260227_071137.webp20260227_071205.webp20260227_071216.webp20260227_071238.webp
 
I think I’m seeing what’s left of 2 rings, which usually means Gardner, but not certain with that diameter and the rings are very “faint”. When I get home this afternoon I’ll take a look in the books. Can you get a weight in grains? Is the average diameter ~.50”?
 
I think I’m seeing what’s left of 2 rings, which usually means Gardner, but not certain with that diameter and the rings are very “faint”. When I get home this afternoon I’ll take a look in the books. Can you get a weight in grains? Is the average diameter ~.50”?
I appreciate it! Yes, it has a average diameter of .50. It also weighs 275.5 grains.
 
Last edited:
I tried. Went through all 5 references books I have. Cant help you much. Due to it being about .50” now, one would guess it was ~.48” when cast. Given the weight and length, and hollow cavity, I don’t see anything in McKee and mason or in Roundball to rimfire 1-4. Closest I get is #231 on page 197 of vol 4. That one is classified as unidentified. Possibly also a .50 Tennessee rifle variant?

I see it was found with a bunch of 3 ringers. Anything else found in the area that would lean north or south?
 
I tried. Went through all 5 references books I have. Cant help you much. Due to it being about .50” now, one would guess it was ~.48” when cast. Given the weight and length, and hollow cavity, I don’t see anything in McKee and mason or in Roundball to rimfire 1-4. Closest I get is #231 on page 197 of vol 4. That one is classified as unidentified. Possibly also a .50 Tennessee rifle variant?

I see it was found with a bunch of 3 ringers. Anything else found in the area that would lean north or south?
Thanks again. I haven't found anything but bullets and they are primarily three ringers. I did find a few williams cleaners. There was skirmishes in the area but not sure to what extent. All my finds lean towards the union.
 
Last edited:
Thanks again. I haven't found anything but bullets and they are primarily three ringers. I did find a few williams cleaners. There was skirmishes in the area but not sure to what extent. All my finds lean towards the union.
Thanks again. I haven't found anything but bullets and they are primarily three ringers. I did find a few williams cleaners. There was skirmishes in the area but not sure to what extent. All my finds lean towards the union.
could you hit it with a toothbrush and knock the dirt off? Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom