What's new

Civil War or Modern Bullet?

TN JavMan

Greenie
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Harrisburg
Hello, can anyone help me in identifying this bullet that I had found today. Just wondering if it is CW era or just something modern.

Thank You

Matt
 

Attachments

  • P7110477.webp
    P7110477.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 352
  • P7110474.webp
    P7110474.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 346
  • P7110477.webp
    P7110477.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 327
  • P7110474.webp
    P7110474.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 339
I believe that one is modern.


Best Wishes,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
I could be wrong but I think its crimped. The lead looks white so I would guess old but post CW. Monty will be along shortly, he will know.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with BB on this one the little slash marks in the groove gives it away.
Sorry but a modern bullet.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
looks like a outside lube type bullet for a 32 caliber, they used outside lube early from the 1870's to the 20's it also looks to be unfired, no rifling marks visible.
 
Upvote 0
Have to disagree steif. Inside lubed bullet. The wide grove with the marks are for the bullet lube while the small circle grove just above it is the crimping groove. That would put the lube inside the case. Hollow base? Can't tell. I would guess it is cast for about a .32 Colt revolver bullet? Not sure without measurements. Colt made a .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt both and I think they both used the same bullet. There was also a .32 S&W Long and a .32-20. But I think the 32-20 used a heavier bullet with 2 grease grooves as it was also used in a rifle. If the bullet is .32 caliber this data is good if it is smaller then I can't say for sure. Need some measurements and weight if possible. I don't see any rifling marks either but the bullet looks fired. Colt had a left hand twist and S&W a right hand twist if I'm not mistaken. All of this info is just guessing from the limited information available. Modern design, meaning it is after smokeless powder became available. Dang, I hate guessing. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Yup, Monte, you are right...lol..
I got my Lubes mixed up.
Easy to do this late in the evening.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom