Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20191215_123857.jpg I found this sword yesterday and was hoping to confirm it being a U.S cavalry .
I found it on a rock outcrop overlooking the river on my property . it was only in the ground 2'' deep and overloaded my machine with an iron tone.
I took these pic with my phone as soon as I figured out what it was.
I 'm seeking advice on how to clean or preserve it.
keep in mind it is stuck in the scabbard and soaking may not work because it can't be rinsed properly I have it setting in the area of the woodstove in an effort to remove all the moisture.
dig those large iron signals guys , the next one may be something good.. DSCN2476.jpg 20191215_123549.jpg 20191215_122946.jpg DSCN2475.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 173

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an enjoyable thread to read - from start to finish. Happy for the lucky finder - and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

THIS is the perfect example of why I come back to tnet.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a fantastic find...don't know what be more thrilling to find...my Navy .36 cal pistol or your light cavalry sword..:hello2:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrats from me on the find and I am stunned beyond words that the blade came out!

I like your theory on the fall down the steep slope. I remember reading a story about Custer attempting to ride up an embankment near Aldie, VA and he tumbled into the river with his horse. It was remarkable to the other officers because Custer was such an arrogant SOB and it embarrassed him greatly.

I also read a story by a Federal cavalry officer who became separated from his company and his horse. I don't recall too many specifics but it struck me that he buried his sword in the woods so, if captured, he would not have to surrender it to a Confederate soldier.

Thanks for posting the map. It's easy to see why they had a picket post there.

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised the blade came out too , I was expecting solid rust but the blade is mostly rust free and even pretty sharp.
thanks for commenting and telling about the Custer .

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find , is it common for civil war era relics to come out of the ground in such great condition? You must have some kind soil around there

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find , is it common for civil war era relics to come out of the ground in such great condition? You must have some kind soil around there
No it's very uncommon for iron to survive like this.
I've attributed it's survival to it being in very rocky shallow soil and being on a near vertical bluff and facing down which prevented water from entering the scabbard . it never had to set wet for long as water would drain off rapidly .

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad I looked back at this post and got to see it out of the scabbard! WOW. Huge congrats! I am so happy for you!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read an article some where quite a while back (many years) where people took a lot of bolts and made them all rust up. Seems like it was years They was all torqued the same. Then afer they rusted up pretty good they sprayed all kinds of lubricants such as blaster and WD40. thern they took torque wrenches and measure the amount of torque it took to loosen them back up. It seems like wd40 to 268 ft pounds to loosen them up. then someone used the 50% Automatic trans fluid and 50% Acetone mixture to try it. I think that mixture took like 63 foot pounds. Since i read that artice I used it a lot and let me tell you it WORKS like they tested !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read an article some where quite a while back (many years) where people took a lot of bolts and made them all rust up. Seems like it was years They was all torqued the same. Then afer they rusted up pretty good they sprayed all kinds of lubricants such as blaster and WD40. thern they took torque wrenches and measure the amount of torque it took to loosen them back up. It seems like wd40 to 268 ft pounds to loosen them up. then someone used the 50% Automatic trans fluid and 50% Acetone mixture to try it. I think that mixture took like 63 foot pounds. Since i read that artice I used it a lot and let me tell you it WORKS like they tested !!!

yes many on here recommended the trans/acetone mix and would have tried it but had none on hand , It's 20 miles to the store so I used what I had here .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find, congrats! :notworthy:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually read through the first 5 pages of responses on your find. :laughing7:
What an amazing piece to have found on your own property too.
Congrats on achieving your first BANNER after 10 years of being on Tnet! :occasion14:

Dave

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved the find... Congrats for sure.. waiting to see it cleaned up, well done!

Gregg3131

May 24, 2015
Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best banner finds in a long time. Awesome recovery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions