What's new

Clark Gabel and Who?

kenley

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
547
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this Music box about 10" down exaxtly centered between the goal post on an abandon foot ball field. Someone wanted to return and recover it. The cover is oriental motief and the pictures, I think,
are Clark Gable and I don't recgonize the woman. Maybe orential theme movie? thanks.


Thanks everybody. I was trying to put the two together, but Ballbuster came up with the clue that seems to work. I was stumped on the age differences between them and the oriental design on the case.
 

Attachments

  • Box Open.webp
    Box Open.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 624
  • Music Box.webp
    Music Box.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 602
Looks a lot like Natale Wood. She stared with Gable in a movie called "the James Dean Story" A little better picture of the women would help.


Jim
 
Upvote 0
I thought Natalie Wood too. I couldn't think of any movie they were in together though. It almost looks like that picture could be a composite and two pics? Is that possible?

The Gable pic looks almost Gone With the Wind-ish.

Natalie Wood

sjff_03_img1406.jpg


2840166180_be0b3b301a.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I would suggest the box came with empty frames allowing the buyer to put in whatever pictures they desired. Very nice piece.
 
Upvote 0
Does the music box still work? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Rando said:
I don't think that picture was necessarily taken with the two of them.
It may be two pictures put together or printed as one.

I agree with Rando. The pic of Gable was 'Gone With the Wind' era, and the pic of Natalie is more 50s/60s. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Rando: Using a 12x loope, I can detect no breaks in the picture. Also this was found (+-) 1985 and had been hid a number of years. This puts it before copy machines were availabel. Also the fit of the paper is perfict..not a teeny booper with a pair of sizzors.

Breezie: It was at least a year of pecking and shacking before I got the music box out. You can see the ball of rust I found.

Appreciate your interest.
 

Attachments

  • 2 size.webp
    2 size.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 410
  • 3 size.webp
    3 size.webp
    35 KB · Views: 401
  • rust.webp
    rust.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0
Is there a name or any script anywhere on the music box? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie: There is nothing visible, but I'm sure I would find some king of mark under the music thinggy, but sooo much rust. Afraid it would fall apart in my hands. Looks like gold leaf, doesn't it?
 
Upvote 0
kenley said:
Breezie: There is nothing visible, but I'm sure I would find some king of mark under the music thinggy, but sooo much rust. Afraid it would fall apart in my hands. Looks like gold leaf, doesn't it?

It's an extremely coooool find whether it is marked or not; and yes from the pic, it does look like gold leaf. Could you take a magnifying loop/glass and look at the print of Gable & Wood, and tell me if it is made up of little tiny dots or if it is smooth. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
ballbuster said:
Looks a lot like Natale Wood. She stared with Gable in a movie called "the James Dean Story" A little better picture of the women would help.
Jim

Jim, when I googled the cast of the James Dean Story, I did'n't see Clark Gable listed as being in the movie. Most of the cast were members of his family, aunt, uncle, friends, etc. Were there 2 'the James Dean Story' movies?

Also, after looking at the photo again, I don't think the pic is from a movie because Gable was born in 1901 and Natalie in 1938, and the photos are different eras, so I think the pic may have come from the cover of a magazine. On the old Movie mags, they would have bust shots of random stars, which would explain why the 2 of them don't look as if they are posed together. Clark Gable did GWTW in 1939 when Natalie was 1 year old. So I'm guessing the Music Box was probably made in the 1950s, which would make Natalie about 20 yrs. old. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
It's an interesting item (not 100% sure it is Natalie Wood).

Natalie Wood 95% of the time, wore her hair towards the other side, from her right to left - this picture has it from her left to the right, so I'm thinking that would put the picture around 1955 (of Natalie) which is around the time when she did wear it in that style - and during the filming of "Rebel without a Cause".

Its neat!

B
 
Upvote 0
That is definitely an interesting item and I'll bet it has one heck of a "story" behind it's hiding.
But, I do not believe the young woman in the pic is Natalie Woods. That hair style was popular with the young starlets and wannabe starlets. It's the finer points of the facial structures that don't match.........at least to me.
 
Upvote 0
I agree.

But, I'm not talking about the hair style, but, most people, including women, when they part their hair, it is habitually parted on the right, the left or in the middle. Natalie Wood almost never parted her hair in that direction.

B
 
Upvote 0
Questions: 1. Are we sure it's Clark Gable?
2. Why the Orential theme on the case?
3. The left or right flip of the hair woul not have much impact on my assesment of the
photo. It could easily have ben a flipped negative, like the one of Billy the Kid
showing him left handed. (the loading gate on the rifle is on the wrong side)

Just to add a little to the mystery, It had been a Catholic school that was used for other things sometime in the 1960's The field was used up until the 80's as kind of a emergency playing field while the new school was being built.

Sure be neet to know what the tune was??
 
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that's Clark Gable.

The woman, though - I'm leaning towards Ava Gardner.

Ava Gardner.webp


She did work with Clarke Gable more than once.

B
 
Upvote 0
As far as the time-line is concerned, it would make more sense for the woman to be Ava Gardner since she was born in 1922, making her closer in age to Clark Gable than Natalie Wood. They were in so many movies together, and it's a matter now of finding which movie. Mogambo? Breezie
 

Attachments

  • PhotoComparison.webp
    PhotoComparison.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom