Clavey River Outside Tuolomne City

No claims showing anywhere on Clavey on my overlays. Kinda strange as claims are nearby. I have no personal knowledge - sorry. :dontknow:

No claims showing anywhere on Clavey on my overlays. Kinda strange as claims are nearby. I have no personal knowledge - sorry. :dontknow:

No, thank you for the help. I always look for markers when I go into an area, but I also ask when I have the chance. As we all know, markers can be destroyed, removed etc. I know that where the Clavey dumps into the Tuolumne, the wild and scenic protection for the Tuolumne extends up the Clavey 1/4 of a mile. I believe that true for all rivers with the wild and scenic designation, that their tributaries are protected also 1/4 up from the main stem.

Thanks again for the info Fullpan

Wild and scenic

Is this area open? Are there many claims on this river? Anyone ever find any color?

Unfortunately not. The entire length of the Clavey is designated wild and scenic. Per BLM regulations, no mineral entry. Not just claims but recreational gold prospecting as well which can alter the "scenic value" of the river.

This of course is non sense pulled straight out the @ss of environmentalists and politicians that wanted to prevent power companies from damming the river.

Honestly, with as many rock slides that occur in those steep canyons, it really couldn't look any worse, it was just a legal loophole they had to jump through to keep it a free flowing river.

Too far east of the gold belt anyway since it doesn't show on any historical gold maps and none of the historic geologic literature.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back