nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me and my Son got out this weekend on some sites that I found on a topographic map.

The first site turned out to be a late 1800's to 1950's site which turned up alot of mason jar lids and some other stuff, but was able to recover a 1897 Indian head penny that had been shot, A 1919 Kentucky State Seal spoon handle, a cool 1930's Cracker Jack train and a nice clay marble.

The next site we headed to, I was hoping was earlier than my maps being it was by the river and I was right. I started out with digging a flat button and than a garter clip. We dug alittle trash from years of the river rising and than We started finding a couple more buttons and harmonica reed pieces and piece of a spoon handle and than the best find of the hunts is the very Nice Stirrup my son found. Thankfully for being in a wooded area the stirrup came out complete. We searched alittle more but our time to leave had come, but We will hunt it again soon.

I also have pictured a pipe that I found last month while i had to do some maintenance digging underneath my house that dates back in the 1800's. It was very cool to be rewarded with finding the pipe that just lay right beneath the dirt, which i figure was thrown in there with some glass and pottery that was built over with an addition to the house.

Thanks for Looking, Nova Treasure

Attachments

• January homesites 2011 002.jpg
    January homesites 2011 002.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 785
  • January homesites 2011 004.jpg
    January homesites 2011 004.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 778
  • January homesites 2011 007.jpg
    January homesites 2011 007.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 786
  • January homesites 2011 009.jpg
    January homesites 2011 009.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 783
  • January homesites 2011.jpg
    January homesites 2011.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 732
Upvote 0
The complete stirrup and pipe are great finds. I don't know how many pieces of those I have found. Never gotten a whole one of either one.

Cheers,

Buckles

Nice going on the pipe and stirrup. :icon_thumright:

Good job Nova, tell your son congrats for the find of the day. Nice stirrup.

Hill

Nice finds Nova!! I have never dug out a CW hutsite but I'd bet you would dig a bunch before you would ever recover a pipe in that great shape. WTG, Quindy.

VOL1266-X said:
Nice finds Nova!! I have never dug out a CW hutsite but I'd bet you would dig a bunch before you would ever recover a pipe in that great shape. WTG, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy, I have several bowls from CW firepits, but to find a clay pipe with the stem under my house was a treat indeed. This house has several built additions over the yrs since mid 1800's and the old glass and pottery shards and almost complete pieces are everywhere in the area i found the pipe. I only can assume they used the area to discard a bunch of unwanted breakables at one given time :dontknow:.
I would Love to find the old privy sites here, no telling what might come up, being right here in the City Limits of Bardstown.
Nova Treasure

BuckleBoy said:
The complete stirrup and pipe are great finds. I don't know how many pieces of those I have found. Never gotten a whole one of either one.

Cheers,

Buckles
Me Niether :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
Great find's Nova....stirrup is on the wish list for this year.Nice job !!!...

Awesome Stirrup :hello2:
Nice Finds! is the pipe stamped 'Glasgow'?
The ones i've found with makers mark are all from there.
Best Digs :thumbsup:

Only the lukey Ones....

Nice finds, That pipe looks to be in pretty darn good condition,most I see on the forum are pieces of the bowl or sometimes just an intact bowl with no stem. That old cracker jack toy is righteous as well.

steelheadwill said:
Awesome Stirrup :hello2:
Nice Finds! is the pipe stamped 'Glasgow'?
The ones i've found with makers mark are all from there.
Best Digs :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, The pipe is Stamped Grout & Williams.

Thanks for looking, Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back