JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a today's find so hope it isn't a problem to post here. I ran this through electrolysis slowly yesterday checking it often and scrubbing loose rust off as I went. Was being careful as I've learned for some reason too much can cause the iron to get soft spots. I eventually got as much rust as I felt comfortable getting off of it then sealed it with paraffin wax. I thought it was neat so wanted to clean it and give it new life figured it'd make a neat decoration. 20210418_180209.jpg 20210420_220921.jpg 20210420_220928.jpg 20210420_221050.jpg

Upvote 27

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Cleaned up well!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Cleaned up well!!! Congrats!!!
Thank you I put a lot of work in it. I know kind if silly but it was something to do and made a find semi worth while to find. Turned junk into a decorative piece.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!

If I were more ambitious and creative , steampunk type art would be interesting.
And up the value of my usual finds , l.o.l..

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent example of what electolysis can do when done correctly! Great work on saving something like that.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent example of what electolysis can do when done correctly! Great work on saving something like that.
I was careful as in the past I've destroyed things by not paying attention. You definitely can over do it. Sometimes it's best to leave a little rust plus it just adds a little character the wax process always makes leftover rust not look so bad. You definitely have to be attentive and make sure to scrub off the shed rust from time to time to keep the process running well. This though it wouldn't seem like it took me all day checking on it throughout the day.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you I put a lot of work in it. I know kind if silly but it was something to do and made a find semi worth while to find. Turned junk into a decorative piece.

I think I would install on my poker table and build a cash drawer....deposit “ junk mail” to buy more ships..

Last edited:
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would install on my poker table and build a cash drawer....deposit “ junk mail” to buy more ships..
I like that idea a very creative and cool idea. It will probably sit on a self and if someone in my family or friends finds a use to it and will give it a good home that's where it will go. I appreciate history and like to save it. This came from a old mill town that no long exist because it was sunk under a lake. So for me finds like this with some history I find cool

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post an address so we can send you some mail to see if your find still works:hello:

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post an address so we can send you some mail to see if your find still works:hello:
Lol I actually wish the spring still worked and that one of the hinges weren't broke. The flap hangs to the side because one hinge is completely broke. I know someone that works with metal that can maybe get it back in working order but kind of scared because I don't want to mess with the history of it. I know nothing about restoration and the dos and don'ts.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job with the restoration! Very nice to bring back somethings function!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you did a great job cleaning that up!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That turned out really good, It would be cool mounted back onto a door even if it was just for decoration.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread