What's new

Cleaning of a Carbine

NVNutcase

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2013
Messages
314
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in need of some information on the cleaning of a Maynard Carbine. It was found in some Cedar-Pine Duff. Pretty good rust all over it, but it would be nice to clean it enough to see the Serial number. Thanks for any info !
 
This is a textbook example of a recovery that warrants a round of electrolysis.

Keep eyes on it like hawk for good measure, and with patience and persistence you'll be able to eventually slide that cartridge right out and possibly have another angle of approach for information/dating purposes.

Don't run current directly thru the cartidge however... it -will- disentegrate!

When it's all said and done, seal it for preservation!




~Tejaas~
 
Dude.... I've tried to be patient!

Update, por favor!

~Tejaas~
 
Sorry 'bout that, Tejaas ! The only cleaning I have attempted so far was to soak the Tang in some White Vinegar and it turned out like this.
 

Attachments

  • image-3462368403.webp
    image-3462368403.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 156
Sorry 'bout that, Tejaas ! The only cleaning I have attempted so far was to soak the Tang in some White Vinegar and it turned out like this.
Night and day difference!
Looks great!

Do you plan to soak the remaining length of the carbine?


~Tejaas~
 
That is the plan right now, in fact, if I can round up a suitable container, I'll get it going today.
 
Any updates, Mr. NVNutcase?
I keep pestering ya about it, but this is my favorite TNET item ever listed, haha.




~Tejaas~
 
Molasses. For rifle length items a plastic window box from the garden shop or one of the plastic tubs for soaking rolls of wallpaper works good. A couple gallons of water mixed with a jar of molasses. Soak for 2-3 days and the rust will brush off with 000 steel wool. Here are some antique railroad lanterns that were soaked in a 5 gallon bucket of molasses & water. They were completely covered with surface rust when I started.
 

Attachments

  • Lanterns-3.webp
    Lanterns-3.webp
    72.9 KB · Views: 148
Those lanterns look Real Good. Thanks for the Tip.
 
No updates. I've been back to the area a few times trying to find the buttplate, but no luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom