Clear Creek Find

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Hopefully you all can see this. Is this pretty glass or some form of gemstone? I found it in Clear Creek.

image-4007367539.jpg

Upvote 0
I also want to thank Kevin for letting me know where to look in Denver. I am green at prospecting and do not live remotely close to a gold producing area. Memphis is all dirt.

I also want to thank Kevin for letting me know where to look in Denver. I am green at prospecting and do not live remotely close to a gold producing area. Memphis is all dirt.

From what I have searched it could be tourmaline
mufkPfP8r6lhicj78ryBwLA.jpg

or kaynite

green kyanite pocket stone(sm) 005-700x700.jpg

Hope this helps..

Thanks Jojo. I was hoping it wasnt a hienekan stone or a cokebottle gemstone.

image-2518037600.jpg

This is the area we were panning in on Clear Creek. Had a few hours over a few days to get as much panning in as possible. We actually followed Clear Creek up into the mountains and panned. Kept hearing an occasional rumble/growling sound while we were down in the creek. Thought of moose, couger, bear or one of the curly horn looking things were growling at us. Got pretty nervous until we realized it was the rumble strips on the side of the road and folks were running over them. One other observation we made up in the mountains is that it gets pretty damn cold. The temp dropped 25 degrees quickly and my pan was icing up. I plan on heading to Colorado again someday, when I have more time. We had an absolute blast even though we hit a doe in Tulsa. I am now a firm believer in shooting deer and urge all to take up arms and cull the herds. Again, thanks Kevin for telling us where to start looking!

Thanks Jojo. I was hoping it wasnt a hienekan stone or a cokebottle gemstone.

No problem Gene, From here it doesn't look much like glass to me. Does it feel like glass to you? I believe Heineken would be a darker shade of green. From it's shape I would say a gem.

View attachment 908254

This is the area we were panning in on Clear Creek. Had a few hours over a few days to get as much panning in as possible. We actually followed Clear Creek up into the mountains and panned. Kept hearing an occasional rumble/growling sound while we were down in the creek. Thought of moose, couger, bear or one of the curly horn looking things were growling at us. Got pretty nervous until we realized it was the rumble strips on the side of the road and folks were running over them. One other observation we made up in the mountains is that it gets pretty damn cold. The temp dropped 25 degrees quickly and my pan was icing up. I plan on heading to Colorado again someday, when I have more time. We had an absolute blast even though we hit a doe in Tulsa. I am now a firm believer in shooting deer and urge all to take up arms and cull the herds. Again, thanks Kevin for telling us where to start looking!

Yeah water and cold air are a bad combination.

I am no gem expert but I think it sort of looks like moldavite, because of the color and the pockmarks ( a better pic would help looks like it might have been smoothed out by the river washing it down stream.) Colorado has a lot of hippies passing through it. ( hippies love moldavite) are there any camping sites above or around the spot you found it? And when you hold it up to the light is it nice and translucent?Can you see any signs of air bubbubbles in the stone?

I won't try to identify the possible stone but it looks like a lot of pieces of creek/river tumbled glass that I have found over the years. However, living in Memphis or the Memphis area, there is actually lots of Gold in the Mississippi River but it is mainly deep and hard to get to or recover. Just think of it, mainy tributaries and the main rivers of these flow into the Mississippi River and have done so for millions of years. Also, Gold has been found in some of these same tributaries and rivers. Combine that with all of the boats, rafts, Paddlewheeled Steamers, ships and Confederate or Union vessels that went down in the Mississippi River that were carrying either Gold or passengers with Gold on their' person and the fact that the Glaciers carved out the Mississippi River Valley and brought lots of Gold down with them on their way from Canada southward to the Gulf of Mexico, there is actually lots of Gold in the area that you live. Figuring out how to get to it and bring it to the light of day, that is the hard part. Just imagine the fortune and historic finds you could make if you had the equipment and authorization to dredge and deepen the Mississippi River and you got to keep any and all finds!

Frank

Last edited:
Gene, whatever it is it looks neat! Sometimes that is all it takes, just something to make the trip memorable along with having had the adventure to go along with whatever was found. Some of my best finds have been on the mountain trail during the hike back up and out. I pass through a fossil zone and ever once in awhile I am lucky enough to see one. Quite a thrill to think I've just picked up the remains of a sea creature from long ago.

If its a gem stone or a semi precious stone or a piece of a coke bottle that Elvis drank from, either way it was found while having an adventure and therefore it qualifies as a piece of trip history and a part of the chase we are in while "out there". Nice find!!...........................63bkpkr

Don't forget Colorado also has jade,mostly black but have seen some nice clean green. A simple hardness test will instantly ID-would kinda like to know as righteous translucent color-cool find anyday-John

Hi Gene, thanks for the kudos and I'm really glad you enjoyed your visit to gold country. I was out for a while at midday yesterday and that water sure is getting cold! This time of year I like to hit clear creek just east/downstream from the Coors plant as the creek is 60 degrees warm (due to Coors running the creek water they a heat exchanger to cool the beer wort after brewing. The public prospecting park there is always fun but especially in winter ;-) Oh, and if you get thirsty, it is a short drive around to the west end of the plant to get the tour and free beer in the tasting room!

PS that green stone looks like typical "beerstone" ;-)

We do find topaz and garnet in Clear Creek (and other area creeks/rivers) tho and both are heavy enough to be caught in a pan/sluice with your heavies.

Last edited:
Watch a show called "Prospectors" they mine gems, S. of Denver looks like something similar to Aquamarine mined on the show - Not positive, just throwing out there.

Johnnysau

I am no gem expert but I think it sort of looks like moldavite, because of the color and the pockmarks Colorado has a lot of hippies passing through it.

Your Clear Creek adventure sounds great! Love the pic! As for your pretty gemstone-bottle-? item, any well-experienced rock-hound in your area can help in identification -- either by just looking it over or checking it's hardness. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back