What's new

CN button

Marty-Graw

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
895
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
bought a bag of buttons today at the flea market and found this in the mix.......I would appreciate any info you may have on this........front is just like the CSN buttons but only has the CN....I have seen a few of the cuff size buttons in my research but so far haven't came acroos a coat size.....back says "COURTNEY & TENNENT CHARLESTON S.C." thanks in advance
 

Attachments

  • CN Button 001.webp
    CN Button 001.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 500
  • CN Button 002.webp
    CN Button 002.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 491
  • CN Button 001.webp
    CN Button 001.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 463
  • CN Button 002.webp
    CN Button 002.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 482
please don't take this as any form of doubt......maybe a shred of hope? lol

but all of the buttons listed on those sites all said CSN or CS ...... mine says CN ....... again you guys are great thanks again
 
Upvote 0
Marty-Graw said:
please don't take this as any form of doubt......maybe a shred of hope? lol

but all of the buttons listed on those sites all said CSN or CS ...... mine says CN ....... again you guys are great thanks again
Yes I know its not an exact match. But as vayank said the shank is not right and the backmark is very modern looking. I was afraid of that but I didnt know for sure.


For the price you paid for an assorted bag of buttons, you really cant lose. There may be something else in that bag.
 
Upvote 0
Marty-Graw said:
there is a union marine corps cuff button
Post the Scovill backmark. I am more familiar with those.
 
Upvote 0
PIC
 

Attachments

  • CN Button 005.webp
    CN Button 005.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 337
  • CN Button 005.webp
    CN Button 005.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 314
Upvote 0
Here are some Scovill backmark pictures for that era.
 

Attachments

  • button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 334
  • buttons great seal backmark.webp
    buttons great seal backmark.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 332
  • button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    button scovill-marks-waterbury.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 319
  • buttons great seal backmark.webp
    buttons great seal backmark.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
There is a repro with just the CN with the C & T backmark. I looked in Albert's book to make sure I wasn't mistaken. I've had quite a few of those things over the years. From the pic of the Marine button it looks WWI period or so. Sorry I can't give you any better news.
 
Upvote 0
cant get a good pic of the back tonight...... not the greatest camera......thanks for your help everyone
 
Upvote 0
Is that a hard rubber button?
 
Upvote 0
Marty-Graw said:
no it's brass .......... just nasty and black
You can compare the Scovills backmark with the ones I posted. :) (name in groove; ring of dots, plain 2 stars, etc.)
 
Upvote 0
Hey Bigcypresshunter & Marty Graw, Not trying to act like a know it all or anything but in the pic of the buttons Big C posted, the backmark on the second button is post civil war. On an indented Scovill mark like that if it has a capital C and small o for company it is always 1880 or later. Just thought I would let everyone know. I should mention there is a civil war period Scovill mark in 2 rings of dots but they will always have a capitol C and O. That backmarked dates and 1860 to 1870.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Hey Bigcypresshunter & Marty Graw, Not trying to act like a know it all or anything but in the pic of the buttons Big C posted, the backmark on the second button is post civil war. On an indented Scovill mark like that if it has a capital C and small o for company it is always 1880 or later. Just thought I would let everyone know.
I ran into that problem trying to date my collection of Great Seal buttons. I was finding 1880 backmarks on post 1902 Great Seal buttons, and I asked myself how is that possible? After reasearching the subject, I found that button manufacturers often used up old stock and that accounts for the overlap.

But thanks for the heads up. If its always 1880 or later, it may be an error. I only posted the pic from inkspotantiques. I know you are very knowlegable on CW era buttons. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I understand if I post a pic or a link I am responsible for its content so heres the link with an explanation. It may be a typo on their part. http://inkspotantiques.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

LEVENWORTH, HAYDEN & SCOVILL (also as LH&S) 1811-1827
J.M.L. & W.H. SCOVILL 1827-1840
SCOVILLS : 1827-1840
SCOVILLS & CO. : 1840-1850
SCOVILL MANUFACTURING CO. : 1850-1960
SCOVILL Mg. Co.: 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mg. Co. / WATERBURY CT. 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mf'g Co. : WATERBURY CT. 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mf'g Co. WATERBURY : 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mfg Co. WATERBURY CT. : 1850-1865

Keep in mind that using Scovill backmark lettering (including dots and stars) is not a foolproof method because Scovill often used old backmark dies to make newer buttons. Thus it is possible to have a World War I "Great Seal" button with an 1850 backmark. Another nuance is that while text may remain the same, other embellishments on Scovill buttons change with time. An 1850 backmark may have the name in a groove or one or two rings made of fine lines or tiny dots, whereas a later button may have no ring of dots (like the Great Seal general service button below.
 
Upvote 0
the back mark is all caps "SCOVILL MF'G CO (dot) WATERBURY (dot)" no rings of dots
 
Upvote 0
Marty-Graw said:
the back mark is all caps "SCOVILL MF'G CO (dot) WATERBURY (dot)" no rings of dots
Ill have to study it when I get a chance later but its best to post a pic of the backmark tommorrow. I dont want to make another mistake, but taking the front and the back into consideration it looks to be 20th century, like Vayank said. I have the "SCOVILL MF'G CO (star) WATERBURY (star)" backmark on post 1902 Great Seal buttons.
 
Upvote 0
ok thx guys y'all might be a buzz kill ;D but you're honest and i do appreciate it
 
Upvote 0
I have something else to add about the Scovill backmarks. If I could post the page in Tice's button book without infringing copyright, I would.

Part of dating the Scovill backmarks is whether it is Mfg, Mf'g, MFG, Mf'g. etc. and part of it is whether it is a ring of dots, a single ring, a two rings... also the size of the letters. Also whether it is dots or stars that separate words, etc. There are dozens of variants.


Post a photo of the back of the marines button.



-Buckles
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom