Coal Camp Find

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3
I was working at an old coal camp in Perry county, KY. Found this old miner's check tag. Once his car was loaded, the miner placed his "check" on it -- a small brass check with his number -- which allowed the checkweighman at the tipple to credit him with the tonnage loaded for the day.

The camp was from the First Creek Coal Company 1916-1918

Miners check.jpg

Upvote 3

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool. Good find:icon_thumright:

looking4largecent

Dec 11, 2011
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend and I have been hunting an old coal camp in Iowa for years and weve found dozens of those tags. They give off a great quarter signal. HH

hoochyhunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my 6 year old son out a couple of weeks ago. The first hit we got, I let him dig the hole and he pulled one of those tags out of the ground. I have an aunt who actually teaches mining classes and she is going to look up who the tag belonged to. Knowing the history behind it will be pretty interesting.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3
I took my 6 year old son out a couple of weeks ago. The first hit we got, I let him dig the hole and he pulled one of those tags out of the ground. I have an aunt who actually teaches mining classes and she is going to look up who the tag belonged to. Knowing the history behind it will be pretty interesting.

Where you from?

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found a couple old coal tokens around my area. Friend of coal and the history. Nice find!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find!

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found quite a few of those tags many years ago when I first started detecting. They seemed to be everywhere around here at one time but in the last few years I haven't found a single one. They where one of the few common finds that I really liked to find and I miss finding them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread