Coil Cover - yes or no?

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Newbie here, wanting to know opinions on coil covers. I got a new Ace 250 for Xmas, and since I'm up in the frozen north, won't likely be taking it out for a few months yet. Meanwhile, am wondering if I should buy a coil cover for it. I'll be using it with the standard 4 x 9 it came with. Any opinions? Thanks.

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES!!!

Bran <><

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
wildheart,

sure,
why not?

Keep the economy going. :wink: ;D
Protect your investment.

Welcome to T-net

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES Much easier then replacing a Sliced Coil.

Just don't paste it fast.

No matter how well you think you've Done so, something will get in

And you will think your detectors Sensitivity went Bad.

Clean it out every night.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, use one it will improve the coils life time in the long run.
And as Jeff says clean it out from dirt and such every now and then. :thumbsup:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one on ebay for $12.70(free shipping) and I like it .

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I coat mine with marine epoxy. It doesn’t come off in the water and sand doesn’t get in.
My 2 cents. ;D

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Personally I think coil covers are worthless. I bought my Ace 250 in Oct of 2006 and damaged the coil by banging it against rocks so much that wires were exposed. I bought a new coil and coil cover which was only a thin piece of brittle plastic. The coil cover didn't last long against rocks and once again pieces of plastic chipped off the bottom of the coil. I tried repairing it with epoxy, but it only chipped out . I then put roofing tar where the plastic and epoxy chipped out. It never solidified so I wrapped duct tape around it. It hasn't affected the performance at all. Three quarter of my outside coil has tar and tape on it and a few inches of the inner coil. The picture shows the epoxy and areas where the epoxy chipped out.

Attachments

• coil.JPG
    coil.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,385

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
...........I never use coil covers anymore.

The mfgrs make a great coil & don't need covers.

unless, you wish to sell your detector instead of using it...........see ya mark

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Yeah, get one.
Coil =$100, or Coil Cover = $10.
If the cover is on from the beginning, you won't be banging the coil directly on anything, the cover takes the abuse.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to go along with ...MARK... some company reps told me the way they make the coils now you do not need a coil cover...............................

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
After breaking, and going through SEVERAL coil covers in the past few years, I finally tried something new about a month ago. Clear PVC cement.
I brushed 2 good coats on the bottom of my coil, and now I'll never have to do more than rinse it off with water ever again.
I've hunted at least a dozen times with it since, in some ROUGH environments, and it's still hard as rock on there like the day I did it. And I'm brutal on equipment.
I was gonna go the marine epoxy route, but I figured I'll check the basement first!
That PVC cement is working PERFECTLY for me!

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Wow, lumbercamp, never seen a coil beat up that bad! :o You swing pretty violently don't ya? ;D

OP
OP
wildheart

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Paul4x4 said:
Wow, lumbercamp, never seen a coil beat up that bad! :o You swing pretty violently don't ya? ;D

Wow, thanks for saying this Paul -- I was thinkin' "Gee, mine isn't anything beat up like that -- I must be doin' something wrong!" LOL

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a coil cover is a good investment! No matter how careful you are, you will bang the coil on occasion. I have seen a few Ace250 coils crack and break, they must be made of a cheaper plastic. I also have an Ace250 but got a coil cover for it, have only used it a few hours. HH, Mike

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Paul4x4 and wildheart, you are both welcome to join me on my diggings in the woods. I guarantee that your coils will be destroyed from the assault against the rocks. Bring a good pair of hiking shoes and tick repellant and we will have a good time. ;D

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
lumbercamp said:
Paul4x4 and wildheart, you are both welcome to join me on my diggings in the woods. I guarantee that your coils will be destroyed from the assault against the rocks. Bring a good pair of hiking shoes and tick repellant and we will have a good time. ;D

That sounds like fun! :D I know I can break my coil, but you'll have to teach me how to break the coil cover also ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul4x4 said:
lumbercamp said:

That sounds like fun! :D I know I can break my coil, but you'll have to teach me how to break the coil cover also ;D

LOL!

Good thread! I used my first 1266-X for 16 years and got no more than some scrapes on the coil cover... So I elected not to buy one for my newer 1266. I figure if anything goes on the machine it won't be the searchcoil. :)

A lot of it depends on Where you hunt. A clad hunter probably shouldn't bother with a coil cover--I mean, how much clad does it take to buy a $15 cover? :(

But folks that are out in the middle of nowhere in the woods, or over rocky terrain might wish to invest. In my mind though, the PVC cement or other epoxy might be a better, cheaper way to go.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread