Coiled artifact

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this curious object in the woods where a house stood from at least 1850-1920. It looks like a coiled tassel theme to me; perhaps a brooch? I might have broke it, as I thought for sure I was digging a headstamp and wasn't being careful (VDI of 15 on Equinox, I believe. ) Found a dandy button about 10 feet away, so the site might be older than I thought. Any ideas what this might be or the age? Thanks so much for looking and for any thought.

Attachments

• 20200518_222423.jpg
    20200518_222423.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200518_222331.jpg
    20200518_222331.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decor for an old stove

Interesting suggestion, Tommy - thanks. I guess I thought a stove part would be heavier, and perhaps cast iron. This seems like a thin and possibly brass object. Admittedly, I am clueless concerning vintage or antique stoves/parts. Would they have brass decorative parts? Again, thanks for the comment. I always enjoy your posts.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words I'm just tossing out a guess cause I find stove parts alot kinda resembled one yet I'm probobly the worst at what it's on this site lol

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My uneducated guess would be one half of either an academic, or marching band aiguillette/honor cord/shoulder cord tip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone's version of a "love knot" brooch. Popular @ the turn of the 20th C.

Gorgeous-Antique-Victorian-Love-Knot-Brooch-with-Tassel.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My uneducated guess would be one half of either an academic, or marching band aiguillette/honor cord/shoulder cord tip.

Thanks! I can see that, as that could tie into my poorly articulated tassel theme idea. I wish this item portrayed a horn of sorts, as that would make an ID easier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone's version of a "love knot" brooch. Popular @ the turn of the 20th C.

View attachment 1834989

Thanks. I was thinking brooch too, and you provide a similar item. Wish mine looked like the photo you shared, or was at least knotted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an interesting and decorative artifact. Given its thinness and lack of prongs on the reverse side (or where prongs once were), not sure it slid or was otherwise mounted over the top of something else. Kicked around the idea of a curtain tie back - but that seems less likely than creskol's ID. Will keep thinking...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an interesting and decorative artifact. Given its thinness and lack of prongs on the reverse side (or where prongs once were), not sure it slid or was otherwise mounted over the top of something else. Kicked around the idea of a curtain tie back - but that seems less likely than creskol's ID. Will keep thinking...

Thanks! The lack of some type of fastener on the back doesn't help the ID; corrosion may have eliminated evidence, if it ever had a pin, slide, etc. I think something for curtains is a possibility, I suppose, perhaps with the protruding part pointing down as if a tassel. Thanks for giving this some thought, and I am open to any other ideas you might come up with.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! The lack of some type of fastener on the back doesn't help the ID; corrosion may have eliminated evidence, if it ever had a pin, slide, etc. I think something for curtains is a possibility, I suppose, perhaps with the protruding part pointing down as if a tassel. Thanks for giving this some thought, and I am open to any other ideas you might come up with.

You're right, I didn't ID your find. Sometimes it helps knowing what something isn't/doesn't do to help eliminate possibilities. I realize that isn't the direct approach - but it can still help. Your pictures are very good quality and I think evidence of broken off prongs would still be apparent. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... Sometimes it helps knowing what something isn't/doesn't do to help eliminate possibilities....
Good point. The absence of a pin might eliminate the brooch possibilty, which could help support a different ID. I will look more closely for evidence of a worn off fastener to more definitively rule out the brooch option. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread