coin dealer question

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
I have a guy i work with that is going to take his grandmas coin collection to a dealer to get an estimate....he is going to let me look at it first to see if there is anything i might be interested in.....he asked me to roughly grade and price everything for him so he can get a general idea of what the dealer might offer him...there is between 30-40 dollar face value he thinks 8 peace dollars a few walkers and franklins,a bunch of kennedys and rest mercs and washingtons.I can get a rough value for him out of redbook but boes anyone know about what percentage of book value a dealer will offer.I told him with there profit margin to not expect much unless he has some key dates which it doesnt sound like.he thinks an uncle went thru them a few years ago and took what he wanted....any insight or opinions would be appreciated...hh jon

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Don't trust the dealers! They are out to get something for nothing. Selling on Ebay seems to bring fair prices for most coins.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay them with good pictures and let the public decide.....Or buy them from him yourself...

B

BIG61AL

I never get coins from a dealer...always over priced....ebays a better option to buy coins

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Dealers use a price guide called Grey Sheet. There is a bid and ask price for the coins. Most dealers I know or have run into want to be about 10% back of grey sheet bid. Red book will just give you a retail price, that is no where even close to what any dealer will offer you. I would suggest the ebay route also, for someone without knowledge of coins or grading the coins.

I am sure you can get a deteailed list of the coins and put them on the coins forum on this site. They will be able to tell you what coins are bulk silver, or common dates, or key coins. Once you figure that out, then you can take the non-common coins and get pictures and sell them on ebay.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stormtrooper154 said:
Dealers use a price guide called Grey Sheet. There is a bid and ask price for the coins. Most dealers I know or have run into want to be about 10% back of grey sheet bid. Red book will just give you a retail price, that is no where even close to what any dealer will offer you. I would suggest the ebay route also, for someone without knowledge of coins or grading the coins.

I am sure you can get a deteailed list of the coins and put them on the coins forum on this site. They will be able to tell you what coins are bulk silver, or common dates, or key coins. Once you figure that out, then you can take the non-common coins and get pictures and sell them on ebay.

Well said. I agree with Stormtrooper on this one.

Buckleboy

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Sorry, I'm another one that belives Ebay is the way to go on this one. That is unless your friend will let you have them for bulk silver prices.

Desertfox

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I agree too. Ebay is the way to go in this case. The coin shops that I have been in have been overpriced. Another option might be to give a week or two in the "For Sale" section of TreasureNet. Just a thought.

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
I actually have a question also bout coin dealers if someone could answer it. Will most dealers by coins by the % metal value?

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Yes, minus a certain %. They will pay less than spot price.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they buy at at spot silver price minus a certain % for garanteed profit---they basically pay you a bit less than current "scrap" metal melt value-- that way if they can't "move" them at full price they can always melt em for scrap value and still pull ahead---Ivan

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
if you just sell even at spot to a dealer you are getting ripped off unless the coins are junk/bad condition. Are you missing the ebay suggestions? ???

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is just regular silver...and no "interesting" dates..most down here pay 8 times face value for the silver and sell for about 10 times face...But I, like the rest would check on ebay.
Here is a pretty neat little website to check out http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what percentage of book value a dealer will offer

I go with Agreen60 . . . or even worse. 40 to 60% of Red Book. They sell 10 to 20% below and still make 30 to 40% margin. It costs $15 to $25 to slab a coin and that is usually lost investment when it comes time to sell (unless tyey lock you into a favorable grading).

There's only three Peace Dollars that have much higher values - a geally good 1921, the 1928 and the 1935-S. And, as with stamps and baseball cards, condition is everything. Coin dealers can be ruthless in their buy grading but goofey in their sell grading. Make sure to have him/them itemize a list so you can get a second opinion if you feel shorted. DO NOT mention that you are a metal detectorist. Some won't touch dug coins and most will assume you've cleaned or altered the coin's finish.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I collect coins myself. I would go through every single piece to see if there are any special ones the red book will tell you.I single coin can be worth the bunch. be careful with dealers they have to eat too.private party is the best.Wouldn't have a 1921 peace dollar,would you ?

RD
P.S the dealers will know if you cleaned the coins or not, so don't do it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread