Coin Depth

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only time you can get an "average" depth, is 1) assuming an undisturbed site, (therefore, not furroughed fields, beaches subject to erosion and re-fill, places where gophers routinely turn over fields, etc...) and 2) comparison only within each site. Because once you move to another site, each soil type is completely different. So whatever answer someone gives here, for just one site, has absolutely no bearing on anywhere else, and is not an "average depth", except for just where he happened to be, at that moment.

I've gotten spanish reales and early seateds an inch deep before (hard pan dirt, demolition sites, furroughed fields, beaches after storms, etc...) And I've gotten zinc pennies 6" to a foot down (turfed lawns in moister sections, beaches on the spongy wet sand, dry sand, etc...)

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Tom has this pretty much correct. But here in Key West we have very course coral/limestone soil with very little organic topsoil. It's either very loose and fluffy or stomped down and hard as concrete.

When it's loose and fluffy, I almost always have to get under 6 inches to get coins older than 1950. The only exception to this is when there is a ledge or shelf of solid coral or limestone under the looser topsoil. In many places this is the case and you can find almost all the older coins stopped dead at this hard rock layer. The layer can be at 2" or 12". Past 12" I can't detect to any worthwhile degree.

One of my favorite parks has a top layer of 6 inches over solid rock and coral. Everything stops at 6 inches. For years I've vacuumed this park. When I first started 20 years ago, it was nothing to take 20-25 silver coins a day along with many wheat pennies. Today I still find silver almost every time there along with wheat pennies. Not like in the old days but still plenty enough to make it interesting.

Thanks to the rock strata I find everything at 5-6 inches. Including some early pulltabs. Stuff settles quickly in my kind of course soil. If it were not for the underlying rock layer I suspect most older coins would be out of reach by now.

Old Town

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Average? 4", which of course means nothing since some were "on top" and as deep as 7". :dontknow: TTC

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't come to Utah unless your detector can get a depth of 10in or better. That is excluding construction sites where dirt has been disturbed

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
In our floodplain parks......9 - 10 inches :icon_thumright:. In my yard (sandy soil) I have not found anything deeper than 8 inches. When I visited my nephew in Tenn. 6 inches max, due to red clay soil with rock base at 6 inches. Depends on where you're hunting, what kind of geological strata is involved......NGE

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have six coins from the 1800's. The deepest was probably five inches. Most were 1-3 inches. Had an 1808 spanish reale about two inches deep. But, these were dug in the woods. Around here stuff doesn't go very deep in the woods. Several flat buttons have also been found within five inches. In grassy areas stuff for me is deeper. Deepest (in a park) was a mercury dime around eight inches. Of the 18 mercury dimes I have dug (in a park), most were in the 4-5 inch range. Well within reach of the Ace 250 used to find them. I need to take the Tejon to the same park and see if there are deeper coins. My problem is I just can't seem to get my butt out of the woods.

-Swartzie

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swartzie said:
My problem is I just can't seem to get my butt out of the woods.

I'm totally surrounded by woods here. Maybe I'll start checkin' some of 'em out when my next MD arrives. Doesn't seem to me like a very good place to hunt, but who knows...

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SirJoey said:
Swartzie said:
My problem is I just can't seem to get my butt out of the woods.

I'm totally surrounded by woods here. Maybe I'll start checkin' some of 'em out when my next MD arrives. Doesn't seem to me like a very good place to hunt, but who knows...

Old house foundations in the woods.
-Swartzie

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the type of soil the coins are in make a huge impact on how deep they can be. Earlier this year I went back to Kansas to hunt and found an 1874 IH about 8" deep and mercury dimes about 4" deep in same area. Soil was soft dark rich and near a stream. I went to an old school where the dirt was more hard packed and found an IH about an inch deep. Here in Tennessee I have found clad quarters 8" deep in very soft soil and mercs and wheats about 4" in other areas. I really pay attention to the type of soil. If I am hunting a park and the clad is near the surface and the silver and wheats are much deeper I really concentrate on those deeper targets. Also you must hunt slower on the deeper targets. I have seen people swinging so fast there is no way they are going to find the deeper targets. So soil type is going to impact your coin depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread