Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are looking for a grade of one (or more) coins, there are plenty here on TNet who will give you an opinion. If you really need a professional's opinion and slabbed, you may wish to contact your local coin dealer and ask him for the cost to 'piggy-backing' your coin with others that he periodically submits to a professional service for grading. (New Canaan, back in the day.)
Don....

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I want to have a few coins graded and slabbed proffessionaly. I was looking into ANACS

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I want to have a few coins graded and slabbed proffessionaly. I was looking into ANACS

If money is your motive then i would suggest as Mackaydon did going with a piggyback to either NGC or PCGS.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If money is your motive then i would suggest as Mackaydon did going with a piggyback to either NGC or PCGS.

I agree! However, if your question is concerning the 1806 Draped Bust Quarter Dollar you found, then I would recommend calling each of the Grading Services (i.e. PCGS, NGC, ICG and ANACS) first to see how they will treat your' coin in light of the damage on the Obverse. PCGS and NGC may only authenticate the coin and place a notation such as VG Details - Damaged, while ICG and ANACS will authenticate the coin but may also give the coin an actual grade still with a notation of the damage. While PCGS and NGC are the most respected Third Part Grading Companies, I believe that a Grading Service that would put an actual grade on the label for the coin, would be a better choice. That is JMHO and some may or may not disagree but the final decision is really up to you!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I just want to have a professional grade put on it and slabbed but not sure who to go with.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! However, if your question is concerning the 1806 Draped Bust Quarter Dollar you found, then I would recommend calling each of the Grading Services (i.e. PCGS, NGC, ICG and ANACS) first to see how they will treat your' coin in light of the damage on the Obverse. PCGS and NGC may only authenticate the coin and place a notation such as VG Details - Damaged, while ICG and ANACS will authenticate the coin but may also give the coin an actual grade still with a notation of the damage. While PCGS and NGC are the most respected Third Part Grading Companies, I believe that a Grading Service that would put an actual grade on the label for the coin, would be a better choice. That is JMHO and some may or may not disagree but the final decision is really up to you!

Yes if the coin is damaged then it becomes a different ball game.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you are seeing as damaged on this coin. Sorry, I know very little about grading these things

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what you are seeing as damaged on this coin. Sorry, I know very little about grading these things

I can see that there are a few scratches for sure on the coin but if the black streaking lines that show in the pics are actually scratches and/or gouges, then that is damage. After rechecking the pics, one concern I would have is the Copper colored splotches showing both on the Obverse and Reverse but more so on the Obverse. Is this just environmental damage or actually Copper showing through. If just the former, then this is another form of damage that Grading Services may consider. If the latter, then this points to the coin as being a Counterfeit or at the least, a possible Counterfeit. Before sending the coin off and wasting money, get the weight and diameter of the coin but most of all, have the coin checked locally by a respected and very knowledgeable Coin Dealer. The normal weight of an 1806 Draped Bust Half Dollar is 13.5 grams but your's will weigh somewhat less due to the wear but too much less, then that is a Red Flag. Also, the normal diameter for the coin should be 32.5 mm or very close to that. Since your' coin was struck slightly off-center, it's diameter may be slight more than the 32.5 mm but only slightly more. Any significant difference above or below this diameter, then that is another Red Flag.

Good luck!

Frank

collision

Jul 14, 2014
Temecula
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NGC, PCGS and ANACS are still the most reputable services. Although, over the years, I think all three have gotten a little more lenient in their grading standards. Any other services are generally considered second and third tier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread