Coin machine ethics

i think you should open your own account if you intend on using the coin machine regularly, afterall, they are your coins... And if somebody asks if you have an account there, you do.

You may get more backlash from your wife than the CU.

There are fees for me to use it but free for kids.

LoL

Hey Nova, I think you kinda know the answer alleady, but, I'd probably take you wife's advice on this one. Good luck, Maverick.

Just found out that my CU has free coin machine use for kids. Both of my kids have accounts.

Would it be unethical to use their accounts to funnel my coin dumps? Wife says I shouldn't.

Any ideas or thoughts.

Novapax

I LOL'd. I love ethics questions...

I'd ask the tellers there how much the coin machine holds, telling them your kids *cough* collect coins, and can go through a lot of them. Feel them out, and see what kind of volume you can get away with.

And yes, I agree with BuffaloBoy about opening an account of your own there. All in all, sounds like a great opportunity. Might even be able to get the tellers to save coins for your kids' *cough* collection.

FormerTeller said:
I LOL'd. I love ethics questions...

I'd ask the tellers there how much the coin machine holds, telling them your kids *cough* collect coins, and can go through a lot of them. Feel them out, and see what kind of volume you can get away with.

And yes, I agree with BuffaloBoy about opening an account of your own there. All in all, sounds like a great opportunity. Might even be able to get the tellers to save coins for your kids' *cough* collection.

Yep. Have an account. For me to use the coin machine will cost me money. I think I'll drop this subject. Wife laughed at me and said I shouldn't run coin under the kids accounts.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Yep. Have an account. For me to use the coin machine will cost me money. I think I'll drop this subject. Wife laughed at me and said I shouldn't run coin under the kids accounts.

Ahh, ok, you didn't say originally that there was a fee for adults. Yeah, probably best to drop it...

You could always "subcontract" your kids to do this for you but ethically that means that you would have to reimburse them for their services. may be a good lesson for them on how businesses work.

I'm sure if I didn't get stupid with using their machine, I could manage to process out a few boxes of dimes a month under their accounts.

Just wish they would let me use it for free.

Novapax

How much of a fee do they charge you?? My bank doesn't charge a fee, but often miscounts to the extent where it almost counts as one.. On average, for every 750 of dimes I lose about 1-3 dollars..

This is not an ethics question

They are not doing a service to members by offering a fee.
If they are like one CU I know of; Military members ,Senior citizens ,And people with over $10,000 in their account may use it free of charge. If I were you, I'd let your kids dump at least $1500 of change a week, and if they have a problem, too bad. if they mention anything, tell them to give you coinlok bags, and you will avoid the machine. Plus it will send a message that these "DEMOGRAPHICS" do not even use a coin machine often anyways, and will probably let the CU reconsider who is able to use it for free.

A CU, is operated by members, if you have a problem, get some of your friends who are part of the CU, and all complain about their coin machine policy, odds are it will be changed.

AdDicted2Ag said:
How much of a fee do they charge you?? My bank doesn't charge a fee, but often miscounts to the extent where it almost counts as one.. On average, for every 750 of dimes I lose about 1-3 dollars..

The one CU is free. The one I mentioned only has 1 free day a month and there is a cap of 200.00. I think it's 3% all the rest of the time. Free for kids.

50cent said:
This is not an ethics question

They are not doing a service to members by offering a fee.
If they are like one CU I know of; Military members ,Senior citizens ,And people with over $10,000 in their account may use it free of charge. If I were you, I'd let your kids dump at least $1500 of change a week, and if they have a problem, too bad. if they mention anything, tell them to give you coinlok bags, and you will avoid the machine. Plus it will send a message that these "DEMOGRAPHICS" do not even use a coin machine often anyways, and will probably let the CU reconsider who is able to use it for free.

A CU, is operated by members, if you have a problem, get some of your friends who are part of the CU, and all complain about their coin machine policy, odds are it will be changed.

I will press to see why they capped the machine with fees and limits next week. They take all of my re-rolled halves no issues at all. They said they will take all I want to bring in. They just said it works good if I bring in 1000 in halves at a time so they can send them back out. So I do.

But to use the machine for dimes would be great. I would up my dimes to 3 times as many as I'm doing now.

Its free once a month, and if they hear enough from their members the policy should be changed to free all the time. They are gonna feel bad for them kids, doing your bidding, and just open it for free nova-dawg.

Like I said I will find out more next week. They have been super nice taking the clad garbage.

One thing I do know is they never produce silver. One of their sister branches did hook me up a few times but nothing in a long time.

I had a credit union tell me to open one for my kids so I wouldn't get charged for the machine. They told me this cause every time I brought in 1000 bucks in halves they would have to count it at sometime during the day to verify the amount was right in the rolls. Roll dumping was free but the machine was 4% unless you were a kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back