Coin Star jackpot

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
So lately I've taken up slowly walking past the Coin Star machine in my local Walmart but not expecting much. Well last week I scored a 64 dime and a French 1 Franc and thought the silver dime was beginners luck. Today I'm in the same Walmart and decided to check it again and ended up filling both pockets with $12.50 worth of clad coins, nickles & pennies. And 1 car wash token. No clue why the reject bin would be overflowing with modern US coins unless the car wash token played a part in it or why the person who used it last left so much money in the bin but it made my day.

Upvote 13

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm like you. Addicted to looking at coinstar machines. Be careful, it could lead to looking at ALL machine's return slots.
It's always a nice surprise to make finds like that. :thumbsup:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bandit, I think you may be on to something. Last time I went, was a clad cent and dime in perfect condition, as well as a cent that was unrecognizable and a flat washer. Maybe the good coins got caught with the junk got rejected. ...Sounds like your CoinStar machine is adjusted nicer than mine! :occasion14:

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! I just started myself. Only a Canadian dime and a wheat penny so far! Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't hear the coins falling into the reject slot cause of the noise of the coin counter I found a 64 dime at a Buschs is it considered steeling if you take the money out of the return slot just a question????????????

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
People don't hear the coins falling into the reject slot cause of the noise of the coin counter I found a 64 dime at a Buschs is it considered steeling if you take the money out of the return slot just a question????????????

NO, In Michigan it is abandoned property. The law is you have to turn it in and if the police can't find the owner you get it back. HOWEVER, I don't think they would enforce it unless pricks.

And some cops are just that.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
NO, In Michigan it is abandoned property. The law is you have to turn it in and if the police can't find the owner you get it back. HOWEVER, I don't think they would enforce it unless pricks.

And some cops are just that.

Yes, but who is to enforce it? Wouldn't it have to be someone "from" CoinStar to press charges, or could someone from the store act as representative on their behalf?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Yes, but who is to enforce it? Wouldn't it have to be someone "from" CoinStar to press charges, or could someone from the store act as representative on their behalf?

ANYBODY can report you for finding money and not reporting it. Same with gold rings underwater. You then never know what officer will investigate it. However, I really think if someone reported you for finding a silver dime in a coinstar, MOST officers would probably have a good laugh.

In Florida it is a felony to find money and not turn it in.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go in the in door at Wal-mart then over to coinstar first thing it is on the( out) door side my wife grabs a cart and takes off like she don't know me but if I find something I call out hey babe check it out.LOL Usually sticky pennies from center console soda spill at least I hope that why they are sticky.I grab the wet wipes you can wipe cart handle with and still go to bathroom to wash hands ewww sticky pennies.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Our Coinstar machine is always empty when I check it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good question, , I think it is more work on behalf of the police. They would have to file an itemized report and take down all of the details. Then they would have to file the report and hold the coins for 30 to 90 days. If no one claims the coins, then they'll be turned over to you. I hear stories about things that disappear from police stations. I think it would be better to just take the coins and mail them to me so I can bless them for you. lol

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
One more thing - they would FIRST have to prove which coins were allegedly stolen/taken. If they cannot prove which coins came out of the machine slot, then can anyone really press charges?? Sure seems like an awful lot of work for folks that leave money behind, whether they realize it or not.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine eye gets dirty and rejects good or bad coins, sometimes you have to put them thru 2 or 3 times... when the guy empty's it out, he cleans all the sorting eyes and it will work good again..
Canadian coins and other country's will be rejected all the time...

For some reason wheat pennies and silver coins will also be rejected the first time thru, if people check the reject slot and put thru again, most machines will take them... but, wheats, silver and foreign coins can still be found , along with rejected bent, dirty, coins and tokens...

last year I found 2 mercurys. sitting right on the top, buy the coin feed.. someone thought , what the hell are these are... LOL

last year I found 4 silvers and this year 2 so far.... around Christmas, people cash in a lot of their coins for the year. !!!!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me whenever I pass a Coinstar machine:

coin-star.gif

DiverDann

Feb 25, 2014
Southern Vermont
Detector(s) used
Fischer F2, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only check twice in my area, but so far I'm up 2 wheats and a Canadian dime.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice score! :occasion14:

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Great haul! Coinstars are great for silver. On my 15th silver so far this year including a 1907 barber dime

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dag nab it --they removed the coin star from my local Winn Dixie store..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions