What's new

Coin Star jackpot

NHBandit

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2010
Messages
3,599
Reaction score
3,302
Golden Thread
0
Location
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
So lately I've taken up slowly walking past the Coin Star machine in my local Walmart but not expecting much. Well last week I scored a 64 dime and a French 1 Franc and thought the silver dime was beginners luck. Today I'm in the same Walmart and decided to check it again and ended up filling both pockets with $12.50 worth of clad coins, nickles & pennies. And 1 car wash token. No clue why the reject bin would be overflowing with modern US coins unless the car wash token played a part in it or why the person who used it last left so much money in the bin but it made my day.
 
Upvote 26
I'm like you. Addicted to looking at coinstar machines. Be careful, it could lead to looking at ALL machine's return slots.
It's always a nice surprise to make finds like that. :thumbsup:
 
Hey Bandit, I think you may be on to something. Last time I went, was a clad cent and dime in perfect condition, as well as a cent that was unrecognizable and a flat washer. Maybe the good coins got caught with the junk got rejected. ...Sounds like your CoinStar machine is adjusted nicer than mine! :occasion14:
 
Sweet! I just started myself. Only a Canadian dime and a wheat penny so far! Good luck!
 
People don't hear the coins falling into the reject slot cause of the noise of the coin counter I found a 64 dime at a Buschs is it considered steeling if you take the money out of the return slot just a question????????????
 
People don't hear the coins falling into the reject slot cause of the noise of the coin counter I found a 64 dime at a Buschs is it considered steeling if you take the money out of the return slot just a question????????????

NO, In Michigan it is abandoned property. The law is you have to turn it in and if the police can't find the owner you get it back. HOWEVER, I don't think they would enforce it unless pricks.

And some cops are just that.
 
NO, In Michigan it is abandoned property. The law is you have to turn it in and if the police can't find the owner you get it back. HOWEVER, I don't think they would enforce it unless pricks.

And some cops are just that.

Yes, but who is to enforce it? Wouldn't it have to be someone "from" CoinStar to press charges, or could someone from the store act as representative on their behalf?
 
Yes, but who is to enforce it? Wouldn't it have to be someone "from" CoinStar to press charges, or could someone from the store act as representative on their behalf?

ANYBODY can report you for finding money and not reporting it. Same with gold rings underwater. You then never know what officer will investigate it. However, I really think if someone reported you for finding a silver dime in a coinstar, MOST officers would probably have a good laugh.

In Florida it is a felony to find money and not turn it in.
 
I go in the in door at Wal-mart then over to coinstar first thing it is on the( out) door side my wife grabs a cart and takes off like she don't know me but if I find something I call out hey babe check it out.LOL Usually sticky pennies from center console soda spill at least I hope that why they are sticky.I grab the wet wipes you can wipe cart handle with and still go to bathroom to wash hands ewww sticky pennies.
 
Don't tell me you're a Monk??!!?? :laughing7:
 
Nice finds. Our Coinstar machine is always empty when I check it.
 
People don't hear the coins falling into the reject slot cause of the noise of the coin counter I found a 64 dime at a Buschs is it considered steeling if you take the money out of the return slot just a question????????????

Good question, , I think it is more work on behalf of the police. They would have to file an itemized report and take down all of the details. Then they would have to file the report and hold the coins for 30 to 90 days. If no one claims the coins, then they'll be turned over to you. I hear stories about things that disappear from police stations. I think it would be better to just take the coins and mail them to me so I can bless them for you. lol
 
One more thing - they would FIRST have to prove which coins were allegedly stolen/taken. If they cannot prove which coins came out of the machine slot, then can anyone really press charges?? Sure seems like an awful lot of work for folks that leave money behind, whether they realize it or not.
 
The machine eye gets dirty and rejects good or bad coins, sometimes you have to put them thru 2 or 3 times... when the guy empty's it out, he cleans all the sorting eyes and it will work good again..
Canadian coins and other country's will be rejected all the time...

For some reason wheat pennies and silver coins will also be rejected the first time thru, if people check the reject slot and put thru again, most machines will take them... but, wheats, silver and foreign coins can still be found , along with rejected bent, dirty, coins and tokens...

last year I found 2 mercurys. sitting right on the top, buy the coin feed.. someone thought , what the hell are these are... LOL

last year I found 4 silvers and this year 2 so far.... around Christmas, people cash in a lot of their coins for the year. !!!!
 
Me whenever I pass a Coinstar machine:

coin-star.gif
 
I've only check twice in my area, but so far I'm up 2 wheats and a Canadian dime.
 
Very nice score! :occasion14:
 
Awesome. Great haul! Coinstars are great for silver. On my 15th silver so far this year including a 1907 barber dime
 
dag nab it --they removed the coin star from my local Winn Dixie store..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom