Coin Star jackpot

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
So lately I've taken up slowly walking past the Coin Star machine in my local Walmart but not expecting much. Well last week I scored a 64 dime and a French 1 Franc and thought the silver dime was beginners luck. Today I'm in the same Walmart and decided to check it again and ended up filling both pockets with $12.50 worth of clad coins, nickles & pennies. And 1 car wash token. No clue why the reject bin would be overflowing with modern US coins unless the car wash token played a part in it or why the person who used it last left so much money in the bin but it made my day.

Upvote 13

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have found silver on top of the machine rather than below in the reject bin. I guess somebody thought that merc was foreign. My gain. To say I stole something of theirs is ridiculous. To turn it in is stupid as somebody that it doesn't belong to will keep it anyway. I pick up change on the floor and even outside on the ground. I look at it this way, they heard it fall and didn't bother to pick it up so don't complain that I picked it up. Even if they complain they can't identify what I picked up to even say it's theirs.

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
lmao.. I can't believe that on a forum dedicated for the most part to finding lost items of value, the discussion has turned into the legalities of keeping what we find.. What a hoot. The ONLY legal owner of these lost (and abandoned) coins would be the person who deposited them in the machine and then walked away.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score!

A couple of months back i found 3 bright new, freshly minted (you could smell the minty freshness) clad quarters in the reject tray.
I'm still scratching my head as to why the modern clad is being rejected....is the Mint not checking the weight of the coinage nowdays?

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Sweet score!

A couple of months back i found 3 bright new, freshly minted (you could smell the minty freshness) clad quarters in the reject tray.
I'm still scratching my head as to why the modern clad is being rejected....is the Mint not checking the weight of the coinage nowdays?
I know that after a score like this I'll be checking everytime I see one of those machines

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
NHBandit, if all who lost or left their coins anywhere belongs to the people who lost or left them, then I must ask you why you are keeping all you find because I know you aren't turning it all over to any lost and found let alone to the police? If you are going to watch those machines too then you are just as much of a thief as you say the rest of us are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread