Coin Star machine has $5.19 left in reject slot. Lucky Me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one that glances at the Coin Star money return slot when I walk by? I just left the grocery store and glanced at the return slot of the only Coin Star machine I know and the slot was filled with coins, all clad. I started grabbing them an sticking them in a pocket. At home I counted 48 nickels, 5 dimes, 9 quarters, and 4 pennies for a total of $5.19. Hope I added them right........ This was more fun than finding a $20 dollar bill blowing across the parking lot.

All the coins were clean with a few new ones. Three of the dimes were new Canadian dimes all bright and shiny.

Sandman

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Congrats on the Coin star finds Sandman. That's a jackpot for a coinstar.

I always check the Coinstar machines. I check the reject tray and the dump tray. Sometimes things won't slide down and stay on the tray. Have been pretty lucky. I found 10 pennies and 1 nickel yesterday.
I always check the coin slots. People are running late, talking to their friends, etc and forget about thier change. At the nursing school that I go to, there is always change in the slots and a little bit under the front of the machine. Not bad free money.

wannadanc

Aug 30, 2006
Wettern WA State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Brush Creek said:
I don't check the coin slots anymore
I read a article about some bitter sick AIDS drug attics that thought it would be cool to infect other people by putting there used needles in the slots because every one checks them.
its been years and I don't remember where I read it but it still gives me chills
I don't mean to be a party pooper :-[

That is the nature of the urban myth mania - I remember when "this" was the one flying around the cyber world. You aren't a party pooper, you are just a victim of the hoax. Fly free and return to the Coin Star slots.

BTW - thank you for posting this thread!!!!!! Guess where I am heading today???!!!! ;D ;D ;D

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
VERY nice haul, Sandman! I still check the 2 in the stores I frequent, but they've been empty for a long time. I've seen other people checking them, too.
Her ya go, Musclecar! A Coinstar is a sorting machine, most commonly found in grocery stores. You dump your change in, it sorts and counts it, and prints a reciept for the total, minus 8% service fee. You take the reciept to the cashier and get your money. The machine can also give a gift card for Amazon.com, at full deposit value.
There's a little opening on the front, where cans would come out if it were a vending machine, that the rejected coins drop into. These things will reject a lot things - silver, dollars, foreigners, or bendies. Some people don't take the rejects after cashing out.

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 305

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Good find Sandman, I used the coinstar near my home a few weeks ago. On putting in my change, mostly pennies, the machine jammed. One of the cashiers called the manager over. He opened the machine and found an Ike dollar, commented that "this must be the problem," handed me the dollar and left. That paid the charge for using the machine. I'm happy. HH Stan...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions