Coin store and pawn shop finds

Felixaaron

Jan 1, 2011
I was inspired by a post a while back and went to the coin shop today expecting to only get a few plastic rolls for half finds. I ended up with a small bag full of silver coins that had not been adjusted for the recent silver jump. I got:

11 x 90% proof halves for $10 each
11 x 40% BU halves for $5 each
1 x Ros dime for $2

Then I went to a pawn shop that doesn't get many coins. They had 7 morgans, 1 silver eagle, and a Ellis Island comm dollar. All were marked at 34.95. I knew I wasn't leaving without the eagle, but for that price the common date morgans could wait. Without much negotiation, the offered them for $28 each. I bought 3 morgans and the eagle.

Sure I like finding in rolls much better, but I will buy silver all day at an average of ~$5 under spot.

This is the best i could do this week since my vault teller went on vacation with last weeks halves locked up... Picking them up tomorrow.

Can't believe you bought a dime for $2.. you can just find keeper dimes in dime boxes.. why pay $2?
I searched 2 boxes of dimes yesterday and actually got skunked. Got a box today and got two roosie keepers. The longest dime skunk streak for me is 2 boxes. Dimes are much better than halves in terms of having fewer skunk boxes.

SFBayArea said:
Can't believe you bought a dime for $2.. you can just find keeper dimes in dime boxes.. why pay $2?
I searched 2 boxes of dimes yesterday and actually got skunked. Got a box today and got two roosie keepers. The longest dime skunk streak for me is 2 boxes. Dimes are much better than halves in terms of having fewer skunk boxes.

lol as they say [dont get offended]....... do the math.... i would empty my bank accounts and stop CRHin to buy all the dimes at 2 dollars i could. I [ maybe because of my area ] could turn around and sell them for about 2.40 ea for an immediate 20% profit. In fact will probably not go CRHin today to buy some morgans at 28 [already bought the $2 dimes last week]

Felixaaron said:
Sure I like finding in rolls much better, but I will buy silver all day at an average of ~$5 under spot.

I'm not saying you didn't get a good deal (I probably would have made the purchase also), but the melt on the Morgans is right at $29. They are 90% silver, but only 26.73 grams total weight, so about 3/4's of an ounce Ag.

HH,
Legend

Felixaaron said:

I'm not saying you didn't get a good deal (I probably would have made the purchase also), but the melt on the Morgans is right at $29. They are 90% silver, but only 26.73 grams total weight, so about 3/4's of an ounce Ag.

HH,
Legend
[/quote]

11 x 90% halves = 0.36169 x 11 = 3.9786
11 x 40% halves = 0.14789 x 11 = 1.6268
1 x Dime = 0.07234 = .07234
3 x Morgan = 0.77343 x 3 = 2.3203
1 x Slv Eagle = 1

Total = 8.998 ozt
Cost = 11 x $10 + 11 x $5 + $2 + 4 x $28 = $279

$279 / 8.998 = $31.00 per ozt

Spot yesterday $37.30 - $31.00 = $6.30 below spot. :wink:

I would buy $2 dimes all day long. Anyone got a few thousand they will sell at $2?

legend76 said:
Felixaaron said:

HH,
Legend

Friday, April 08, 2011: Silver closed at $40.93.

Hmmm, Not such a bad deal after all. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back