DirtyMike
Hero Member
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2009
- Messages
- 898
- Reaction score
- 106
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- West Virginia
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Don't think it's Counterfeit.....just Counter stamped, which would probably make it the same weight as a Half Penny :P4-H said:Weigh the coin and convert the OZ. To grains. Counterfeit coins weigh less . But, don't let the word counterfeit upset you. Counterfeited coins coins of this nature are more "Attractive" to dealers..![]()
No I am not sure. I am really just going by some pictures I have seen on ebay.DavidBeard said:Are you sure its a William 3rd halfpenny? - The bust looks like George III First issue halfpenny (1770 - 1775).
I was told that was the date of this coin. I did not realize it was made for several years. Sorry I am no coin expert.Mackaydon said:I'm truly curious.
Assuming it is a William III half penny, what do you see that tells you the date? My understand is the date would be on the reverse (counterstruck) side and I can't see squat there.
Don.....
Silver Searcher said:Found this George111 penny Couter Stamped with IK on the backdon't know if it helps any
SS.
It is without a doubt a KGIII copper and not a William III, letters IVS are showing, not MVS that a William copper would have.Its aprx. 6 grams. I only have postal scales to use.Don in SJ said:Nice Counterstamped King George III Halfpenny!It is without a doubt a KGIII copper and not a William III, letters IVS are showing, not MVS that a William copper would have.
Odds on a counterfeit since it was found in the states, but weight is needed for saying for sure, although perhaps studying the letters visible could also say it is a counterfeit.
Don