DirtyMike
Hero Member
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2009
- Messages
- 898
- Reaction score
- 106
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- West Virginia
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DirtyMike said:What type of advertisement would they have stamped on the coin. Or could it be someone or someplace's initials?
There are some on this link, which might give you a rough ideaDirtyMike said:Whats a round about value for a coin like this?
http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/Countermarked Tokens and Coins.htmlSorry I missed your question ISIronSpike said:Silver Searcher said:Found this George111 penny Coutner Stamped with IK on the backdon't know if it helps any
SS.
What do you know about the coin posted SilverSearcher? That appear very close with slightly different IK design. A counterstamped counterfeit would be something else.
there wasn't much info from the link I used about the initials, proberbly a traders initial, or something similar.Could we see the link?Silver Searcher said:Sorry I missed your question ISIronSpike said:Silver Searcher said:Found this George111 penny Coutner Stamped with IK on the backdon't know if it helps any
SS.
What do you know about the coin posted SilverSearcher? That appear very close with slightly different IK design. A counterstamped counterfeit would be something else.there wasn't much info from the link I used about the initials, proberbly a traders initial, or something similar.
SS.
6 posts upbigcypresshunter said:Could we see the link?Silver Searcher said:Sorry I missed your question ISIronSpike said:Silver Searcher said:Found this George111 penny Coutner Stamped with IK on the backdon't know if it helps any
SS.
What do you know about the coin posted SilverSearcher? That appear very close with slightly different IK design. A counterstamped counterfeit would be something else.there wasn't much info from the link I used about the initials, proberbly a traders initial, or something similar.
SS.
OK thanks. You are right. It doesnt say much about it.Silver Searcher said:
johnnyi said:"Whats a round about value for a coin like this?"
As Don sad, it is really hard to say, but once it is identified, published, and in the best case scenerio, gets some attribution, the value goes up appreciably. What you've found ("I K") is an unlisted counterstamp referred to as a "maverick". Here's a similar type of two letter maverick I dug several years ago which was then unique (like your's) and which "United States Tokens" listed for value $80.00. Since then a few others have been found in the same area of the country, and once they are reported it will be easier to attribute the maker (and again, once attributed, the value goes up considerably on all of them)
Once again, I think you should write to Russell Rulau, the author of "United States Tokens", and report your find. He has the largest data base, and as well, he is working on a cd addition to the book. You can contact him through Krause publications, 700 E. State St. iola WI 54990-0001.
CRUSADER said:Just checked J.G. Scott's book on British Countermarks on Copper & Bronze Coins:
IK appears in the 'Unattributed' appendix, might be the same, but have no photo in the book for a match.
Book says:
IK large letters with serifs in rectangular indent - recorded on a George II Halfpenny.
Sounds similar, but clearly on a different coin.
Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Just checked J.G. Scott's book on British Countermarks on Copper & Bronze Coins:
IK appears in the 'Unattributed' appendix, might be the same, but have no photo in the book for a match.
Book says:
IK large letters with serifs in rectangular indent - recorded on a George II Halfpenny.
Sounds similar, but clearly on a different coin.
Don't think the coin matters, was just the host. It's about matching the stamp.

CRUSADER said:Iron Patch said:CRUSADER said:Just checked J.G. Scott's book on British Countermarks on Copper & Bronze Coins:
IK appears in the 'Unattributed' appendix, might be the same, but have no photo in the book for a match.
Book says:
IK large letters with serifs in rectangular indent - recorded on a George II Halfpenny.
Sounds similar, but clearly on a different coin.
Don't think the coin matters, was just the host. It's about matching the stamp.
I realise that, I just pointed it out for those that might pick holes
PS. Do you think the description sounds the same, I do, as it has Serifs & a somewhat rectangular indent?
johnnyi said:Mike, my wife was cleaning the storeroom yesterday and she discovered some of my old finds I'd packed up because they too worn to identify. On this piece I'd always searched for a name written in small letters within the "grooves", but after seeing your post here a few weeks ago I just realized I was looking at it in the wrong way. Apparently it is the same kind of deal as yours, a counterstamped british coin which may have the large letters "I B" in relief. This particular coin is stamped both front and back, and is so worn that most of the design is gone, almost completely gone on the back. It seems likely then, as some other posters have suggested already, that these particular counterstamps were made in England and made their way over here.