coins coins and more coins

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Strolled over to the local Subway shop this evening. :walk: out of my workplace and out into the parking lot, looked down found a dime on heads. :walk: about 50 feet and found 2 McDonald's Monoply game pieces. Got over to Subway shop, checked the vending machines on the way in. Jackpot :sunny: in one machine $1.30 in change, one quarter and the rest nickles, 3 new Jefferson nickles and a 1940 nickle. Return trip to the office not a darn thing, but I was still smiling! :laughing7:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked up a half a dozen Morgan silver dollars at a yard sale of all places. Walked off with 6 1921's in nearly perfect condition for $20.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
Return trip to the office not a darn thing, but I was still smiling! :laughing7:
of course you didn't find anything, you already sucked up every coin to be found. :icon_thumright:

next time go back a different route ;D

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Mad Machinist said:
Picked up a half a dozen Morgan silver dollars at a yard sale of all places. Walked off with 6 1921's in nearly perfect condition for $20.

Best I ever did was a buddy of mine, he worked at a quick-lube place. Gave me a call one day and said to come on over that one customer had paid for his oil change with $22 worth of rolled buffs. That was my best coin score even though most were slicks (paid face value).

Nice job KC, my wife still looks at me sideways when I check coin returns. :thumbsup:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
my wife still looks at me sideways when I check coin returns. :thumbsup:
I get dirty looks too from wife or teen daughter. Whenever I see a coinstar I walk up to it and pretend to read the video screen and glance down at the return chute as I leave.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good place to check is the self service lines in WalMart and Kroger. Several times I have found bills left in the change tray that a previous customer forgot. Last time was 2 days ago, $14 (2 fives and 4 ones) left in the bill change tray. That is the fourth time I have found paper money left in the bill change trays at self service checkout lines.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
does anyone know why CoinStar thing dont take silver because i always find silver in them? oh, and good for you for being that much richer!!!! :hello: :headbang:

jackie blue

Dec 4, 2003
NC
This past Saturday night, I went to the local convenience store to buy some soft drinks. Waited patiently in line while some old geezer bought some 6 dollars worth of scratch off tickets and paid for them with half dollars. When he left, I asked the clerk if I could seen the coins...they were all Franklin halves. Bought them all!

Today, I was at work at the tax office and some smart alec bozo brought in $20 worth of pennies to pay a vehicle bill. He laughed and said it would give me something to do. Found one Indian Head and several wheaties, so it was well worth the effort of having to count 2,000 coins!

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked the Coinstar machine at work the other day and there was 2 1943 steal pennies in the return slot,the machine must have rejected them because they were real dirty. :hello2:

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
On Saturday I stopped on the way home to purchase some beer. When I got out of my truck I found a dime on the ground. Going into the store I realized that I may not have quite enough cash on me to pay and I may need to go back out to my truck and get my card. I asked the clerk at the counter what the total would be and sure enough I was .25 short. I said to her hang on a minute I need to go to my truck (I was the only one in the store and she hadn't actually rang the sale up yet). With out hesitation she said "Oh don't worry about it" and reached into her own pocket and pulled out a quarter. I told her thank you but I can just go get my card. I really didn't like the idea of taking the money from her. She was an older lady who was new to the store. She insisted so I agreed and told her that I would square up with her next time I came in. I thanked her again and left. As I walked out the door there was a $5.00 bill laying on the ground. I went back into the store and told her I had found this and I would like her to have it to repay her for her kindness. It made her day. The weird thing is I don't know how I missed it going in as it was right in front of the door and there had been no one else around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread