Coinstar Bonus 25%

KOut

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had instructions on Saturday to get three $50 iTunes cards for Christmas presents and decided to take advantage of the CoinStar holiday bonus on giftcards. At the Coinstar machine at our Safeway, only iTunes, Amazon, Starbucks, and Lowe's (home improvement store) cards were eligible for the bonus. The deal is that if you buy a minimum of $40 worth of one of the eligible cards you get an extra $10 on the card. You get the same $10 total for any amount over $40, so if you are going to cash in $80 or more coins you should do multiple transactions. The deal ends on December 9th.

I decided to use this as a chance to hunt for some silver dimes. Stopped by the US Bank branch right in the Safeway and took all of their rolls of dimes -- $170 (34 rolls). Walked about 8 feet over to the Coinstar machine and started dumping $40 at a time. Ended up with three of the $50 iTunes cards plus one of the $50 Starbucks cards for a total $160. Found the following silver rosies sitting in the rejection tray when I was done: 1946, 1962, 1963, and 1964. Took all of about 15 minutes from purchasing the rolls to getting the giftcards and silver.

$200 in giftcards that we would have bought anyway plus just under a third of an ounce of silver for $160
in coins and 15 minutes of time - not a bad day at the market!:hello2:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Everytime someone buys one, I dont know what to think. I hope I won't be receiving it, everytime a friend of mine get's one, I advise them to sell it on ebay. Itunes=Obsolete, added costs. Plus, 99% of the artist's in the music now-a-days (cept, me and em of course), don't deserve a cent. But, if these itunes card's make you happy, then by all mean's celebrate. picard-facepalm.jpg

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I read this right? Did you dump all the dimes in coin star and let the machine sort out the silver?

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Everytime someone buys one, I dont know what to think. I hope I won't be receiving it, everytime a friend of mine get's one, I advise them to sell it on ebay. Itunes=Obsolete, added costs. Plus, 99% of the artist's in the music now-a-days (cept, me and em of course), don't deserve a cent. But, if these itunes card's make you happy, then by all mean's celebrate. View attachment 708171

Dawg I'm witcha I buy the hard cds. I don't like itunes. Btw I bought your album get rich or die tryin'. Ill be receiving it this christmas homie

OP
OP
K

KOut

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I read this right? Did you dump all the dimes in coin star and let the machine sort out the silver?

Yep, just tore open the wrappers and dumped right into the Coinstar without looking at any of the dimes. The Coinstar machine is just a few feet to the right of the in-store US Bank window at this Safeway. Coinstar sorted the dimes and spit out the silver in the reject bin. Then I just selected the gift cards with the $10 bonus that were on my shopping list (iTunes and Starbucks). Took less then 15 minutes from when I parked to when I was driving away with 4 silver dimes and discounted cards. Key is that they need to offer giftcards that you would have been buying anyways - although I guess you could sell them on eBay and still more than breakeven.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - I doubt I would trust any coin machine to return silver.

Haven't found any silver in coinstar reject trays yet. I did find some grimy U.S. coins in a reject tray this weekend. Also, at the bottom of the face of the machine there's a place where the clear plastic cover fits into a metal frame. You can see all sorts of coins that apparently were dropped and got caught in the metal frame. The plastic is flexible and if you push a little you can scoop out all sorts of coins with your fingers, but it looks a little suspicious when you are doing it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Haven't found any silver in coinstar reject trays yet. I did find some grimy U.S. coins in a reject tray this weekend. Also, at the bottom of the face of the machine there's a place where the clear plastic cover fits into a metal frame. You can see all sorts of coins that apparently were dropped and got caught in the metal frame. The plastic is flexible and if you push a little you can scoop out all sorts of coins with your fingers, but it looks a little suspicious when you are doing it.

If you keep looking you will...I find at least a Silver dime every couple weeks in them, and Alot of forigen coins. But they will reject silver, my brother was dumping his chage a few months back, and told me that 2 of the coins wouldnt go thru, so he kept trying and trying. and finally gave up, and it eneded up being a Merc and a IH Penny...Gotta keep you eye out

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dawg I'm witcha I buy the hard cds. I don't like itunes. Btw I bought your album get rich or die tryin'. Ill be receiving it this christmas homie

Homie, thank's alot, you need to release some more albums. You need to make some more CD's, forget these single's you do from time to time, last one I bought, was Recovery, it was pretty good helped me recover my mind. merry christmas, hope everything's going a-o.k, for you dawg.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

I never took the coins out from inside, that is theft. I did take some coins out that were stuck between the plastic and the inside (one was a silver dime). That time, some person was watching me do it and was saying like "You're almost there!" It really made me feel more awkward.

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sag - I think we are talking about the same place on the machine - I see lots of coins trapped behind the plastic; you can reach the ones that fall to the bottom of the plastic.

In any event, searched $40 in MWR dimes this morning so I can go buy a $50 iTunes card as a gift. No keepers in the dimes, but I'll take the $10 off the iTunes card. The CoinStar e-mail promo I received didn't mention Amazon, but if my machine offers discount Amazon cards I'll get some of them too. You can find everything on Amazon.

HH

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this at the very bottom of the machine. Like at the floor level?

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally going to be on the ground this weekend trying to scrounge for coinstar leavings

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome.. Way to make the best of a situation..

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Itunes pftt, steal your digital media, dont waste bankroll on none silver hunting activities!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread