Coinstar Finds

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just this year I have foun 2 rosies and one merc. Last year my best coinstar find was a 1945 quarter.
Not to mention lots of clad and foriegn coins. Coinstars reject all silver coins and wheaties.
I check everytime i'm near one...
Good luck and happy Coinstar hunting!

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I found a clad dime and a nickel on the floor in front of the coinstar and a clad dime sitting next to the tray where you dump you coins in. It amazes me that people leave that stuff sitting right up on the counter. I've found one silver roosevelt dime and one war nickel in the tray so far this year.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, the coins came from under the machine, not in the reject slot. I barely find anything in the slot. My finds are almost always from under the Coinstar. I've found about 8 silver dimes and a semi-key silver quarter (1936-D), plus probably like 50 types of foreign, including a silver 80% South African 3 pence from 1943.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot believe how lazy/ uninformed some people are! I don't expect most of the population to know about silver coins; its just not their style being too busy with life or whatever. But if a coin machine spits out a reject coin from the 1800's you throw it away?! That's just plain stupid! There are enough reality auction & pawn shows on TV right now that people think that every rusty, dusty piece of junk in their attic is worth a fortune, but you throw away coins that dont look farmiliar to you? case in point - I have found lots of feoreign silver coins and even a coin from the 1800's in a freaking garbage can next to a coin counter.

Sorry to threadjack, but I still cannot believe what people leave behind. Just yesterday, I found an Ike and 2 canadian dimes in a trash can next to a counter!

Jul 6, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 11" DD Coil Several Expensive Modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot believe how lazy/ uninformed some people are! I don't expect most of the population to know about silver coins; its just not their style being too busy with life or whatever. But if a coin machine spits out a reject coin from the 1800's you throw it away?! That's just plain stupid! There are enough reality auction & pawn shows on TV right now that people think that every rusty, dusty piece of junk in their attic is worth a fortune, but you throw away coins that dont look farmiliar to you? case in point - I have found lots of feoreign silver coins and even a coin from the 1800's in a freaking garbage can next to a coin counter.

Sorry to threadjack, but I still cannot believe what people leave behind. Just yesterday, I found an Ike and 2 canadian dimes in a trash can next to a counter!

I feel ya! I saw a lady at Krogers when I was checking out pick up a FREAKING SEATED and I immediately ran up to her and offered to trade a normal dime for it. She said no thanks then spent it on a SODA!!!! I then checked the reject slot and she left a silver roosie and 1954 wheat...

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel ya! I saw a lady at Krogers when I was checking out pick up a FREAKING SEATED and I immediately ran up to her and offered to trade a normal dime for it. She said no thanks then spent it on a SODA!!!! I then checked the reject slot and she left a silver roosie and 1954 wheat...

You should have put a dime in that soda machine, and then press the plunger. Repeat until you find the seated. It could take a while though. I did it in Canada to find some cool colorized coins.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i put canadian quarters in the vending machines in america and get back american quarters :)
You should have put a dime in that soda machine, and then press the plunger. Repeat until you find the seated. It could take a while though. I did it in Canada to find some cool colorized coins.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
July 9

Store 1 (Walmart)

- 32 cents of clad

Store 2 (Harris Teeter)

- 20 cents of clad
- 1938 wheat cent
- 1940 wheat cent

The Walmart has never really produced, almost always get a couple cents there, but no more than that. The Harris Teeter has given me a '64 rosie and an 80% silver South African 3 pence. The people at the Harris Teeter are always friendly and ask if I found anything good. One of the cashiers told me that if I have any pre-1966 quarters, I should keep them. I corrected him, saying pre-1965.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...do you make your parents drive around to these stores just so you can check the reject bin, or do they have to go shopping there?
i really don't think it is worth the time, effort, and gas to go out of your way for a few cents of clad, or even a silver dime at that...
hh
buff

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
...do you make your parents drive around to these stores just so you can check the reject bin, or do they have to go shopping there?
i really don't think it is worth the time, effort, and gas to go out of your way for a few cents of clad, or even a silver dime at that...
hh
buff

Only when my parents shop...unless I see that there are some coins, like silver quarters, that I couldn't get (happened only once). Then I would return and get everything.

hunter78

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean in the bottom tray for the silver right.I always check the magnet also

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jarlbartar said:

Ike in the trash? Ya, let me just throw this huge US coin that says ONE DOLLAR on it, in the trash, because the coinstar machine doesn't like it. Wow.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
What and where is the magnet located? Thanks

You can get to the magnets in a Coinstar machine. Many banks use similar machines, but of a different brand. These usually have a visible magnet you can snag coins from. In a Coinstar brand machine, there is a reject area towards the bottom of the machine. Coins are sometimes in there left by people who leave them on purpose, or don't know that there were coins rejected. Also, especially if you are younger (like me!), you can look under the machine. That is where I found my silver coins. Many people see rejected coins, and just decide to put them under the machine to not worry about them (This is what I think happens, some of it could also be dropped coins). It would probably go in the trash if there were trash can around the Coinstars here.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get to the magnets in a Coinstar machine. Many banks use similar machines, but of a different brand. These usually have a visible magnet you can snag coins from. In a Coinstar brand machine, there is a reject area towards the bottom of the machine. Coins are sometimes in there left by people who leave them on purpose, or don't know that there were coins rejected. Also, especially if you are younger (like me!), you can look under the machine. That is where I found my silver coins. Many people see rejected coins, and just decide to put them under the machine to not worry about them (This is what I think happens, some of it could also be dropped coins). It would probably go in the trash if there were trash can around the Coinstars here.
Awesome, thank you.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Ike in the trash? Ya, let me just throw this huge US coin that says ONE DOLLAR on it, in the trash, because the coinstar machine doesn't like it. Wow.

Some people may think it is fake because of it being rejected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread