Coinstar question

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might do ok with the halfs. I have dumped dimes sometimes it keeps them sometimes it dont. It depends on the condition of the coin it keeps the ones in pristine condition.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might do ok with the halfs. I have dumped dimes sometimes it keeps them sometimes it dont. It depends on the condition of the coin it keeps the ones in pristine condition.

Interesting so maybe they actually reject based on width rather than composition?

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure when the machines reject the silver, it's because the coins are simply old and worn. Kind of like when they reject damaged coins; they just don't feel right sometimes. Every time I check the reject tube, or the bag is changed, I take a look at the halves bag because it's at the front of the machine usually. I always see silver in it. I've gotten close enough on occasion to identify 90% and 40% halves. Come to think of it, I should ask to buy it.

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
HavokSouls said:
Ok so I have a chance to buy bags of coins from the coinstar but im thinking it sorts the silver out? I have no idea but none the less it would be quite interesting. Please share your thoughts

How do you buy a bag from coin star?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to ask this but ..What is coinstar.?????? Is that the machine in stores that people take there change in dump it in and get a slip of paper that tell'S how much change they had ,,.. And turn the slip in to the cashier for paper money ?

Last edited:

CaliShawnNokc

Dec 30, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/9in coil
Whites MXT PRO w/DD 6x10
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No loss IMO! I've been skunked at banks before. Might as well check the Coinstar if you have the chance. How did you get that score, I'm sure everyone on here is dying to find out that little trick!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't know you could buy from coinstar. Our machine has two massive metal boxes where the coins are deposited in. The guy who comes to change the machine out has to use a special dolly-lift in order to switch them out. learn something new everyday.

sincerely, Garoulady

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to ask this but ..What is coinstar.?????? Is that the machine in stores that people take there change in dump it in and get a slip of paper that tell'S how much change they had ,,.. And turn the slip in to the cashier for paper money ?

Yes Keppy, that's what a Coinstar is! :thumbsup:

I didn't know you could buy from coinstar. Our machine has two massive metal boxes where the coins are deposited in. The guy who comes to change the machine out has to use a special dolly-lift in order to switch them out. learn something new everyday.

sincerely, Garoulady

I don't think you can; I think the OP is talking about buying bags off a coin counter, not the lock boxes off a Coinstar.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Rats, that would have been sweet if looking for key dates. But regular coinstars normally filter out the silver unless they are silver IKE dollars. Those get thrown into the internal reject bin under the counter wheel.

Hugs,
Garoulady

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought bags off machines in the past, but for some reason Coinstar is off limits, "under Brinks contract", as if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Keppy, that's what a Coinstar is! :thumbsup:

I don't think you can; I think the OP is talking about buying bags off a coin counter, not the lock boxes off a Coinstar.
no I'm talking about a coinstar.. I buy alot of change from the local piggly wiggly and the manager says u should just buy the bags from the coinstar once he figures up how much is in a bag.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting so maybe they actually reject based on width rather than composition?
I placed a 1964 dime in really good condition in my dump to check if I had missed it. It kept it but 4 weeks earlier it gave up 4 dimes my son missed while CHR. Someone said it might have been the weight.

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I placed a 1964 dime in really good condition in my dump to check if I had missed it. It kept it but 4 weeks earlier it gave up 4 dimes my son missed while CHR. Someone said it might have been the weight.

Yea the machine judges by weight

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many really nice silver dimes in the reject tray before

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rats, that would have been sweet if looking for key dates. But regular coinstars normally filter out the silver unless they are silver IKE dollars. Those get thrown into the internal reject bin under the counter wheel.

Hugs,
Garoulady

Manually thrown into the internal reject bin by a person? or automatically by the machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread