What's new

Cold weather coming in and the digger blues are setting in, but my best year overall

jtorpy

Greenie
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After my first full year detecting with my XP Deus (7th year detecting) I couldn't be more satisfied! Especially since I upgraded to the MI-6 pin-pointer. I set out with a goal of trying to find an 1800's coin this year. I did way more homework last winter and found some great online resources to help narrow down my attempts in asking for permissions on private land. after digging some 300+ coins about 8 weeks ago I finally did it! a 1898 IHP I was thrilled to say the least. I was super busy for about a month and didn't get out hunting for a while, when I did BINGO a 1892 IHP! then 2 weeks after that another 1898 IHP! my goodness didn't expect to pull those coins up north half of wisconsin. Had many others close to the 1800's a 1900 Barber dime and a 1900 V nickel. Then on my last hunt I hit gold for a mens 14k wedding band! Pretty sure I am done for the year as the temps have slid into the 40's. total for the year over 400 coins. My oddest find was a Japanese 1965 1 yen (aluminum coin) you never know what your going to find.
20170806_195654.webp20170828_112706.webp20170904_181217.webp20171011_175401.webp20171021_154546.webp20171013_134801.webp

No I do my research for next season and scratch the digging itch by watching youtube videos of other hunters living in warmer areas. Shout out to the Hoover boys, Dr. Tones, Relic Recoverist and Relic rangers for helping through the long frozen winters by recording such great hunts.
 
A windy cold raining day in Connecticut.
 
You have done outstanding, hope the winter is a short one for you and next spring will be productive!
 
What? The ground isn't frozen and you're throwing in the towel?:laughing7: I don't care for the cold but, I have a few more nice coins to add to the treasure chest before old man winter chases me indoors until next spring. Congrats on some nice old coins there.:hello:
 
Nice Finds you got there!!!!!!!


but heck winter out here in is what I hope for to start detecting!! Can't wait for the rain to start :)
 
I am not throwing in the towel, just have a few projects to finish before I can get back out detecting. Hopefully before ground freezes...
 
Nice collection of goodies, congratulations!
 
Wow, what great finds!

I get my XP Deus tomorrow. I hope my first year is half as good as yours.

Would you mind if I ask you some questions about the XP and permissions from time to time?
 
I would be happy to answer any questions Hubbard. Part of this hobby is the amazing people so willing to share information. I have been helped and like to help other also.
 
What a nice collection of finds! I would wet my pants if I found a walking Liberty half dollar, which is a beautiful coin. In contrast to you, many of us here in SoCal are enjoying being able to finally get out in the field after a miserable summer of high temperatures! And the winter rains will soften up the sunbaked soil. In the rhythm of life, some of us are just getting started out here, while you are getting ready to hibernate! As a retired teacher, I love the fact that you "do your homework" before heading out--too many skip that critical step and then wonder at their lack of results.
 
After my first full year detecting with my XP Deus (7th year detecting) I couldn't be more satisfied! Especially since I upgraded to the MI-6 pin-pointer. I set out with a goal of trying to find an 1800's coin this year. I did way more homework last winter and found some great online resources to help narrow down my attempts in asking for permissions on private land. after digging some 300+ coins about 8 weeks ago I finally did it! a 1898 IHP I was thrilled to say the least. I was super busy for about a month and didn't get out hunting for a while, when I did BINGO a 1892 IHP! then 2 weeks after that another 1898 IHP! my goodness didn't expect to pull those coins up north half of wisconsin. Had many others close to the 1800's a 1900 Barber dime and a 1900 V nickel. Then on my last hunt I hit gold for a mens 14k wedding band! Pretty sure I am done for the year as the temps have slid into the 40's. total for the year over 400 coins. My oddest find was a Japanese 1965 1 yen (aluminum coin) you never know what your going to find.
View attachment 1510475View attachment 1510476View attachment 1510477View attachment 1510478View attachment 1510479View attachment 1510480

No I do my research for next season and scratch the digging itch by watching youtube videos of other hunters living in warmer areas. Shout out to the Hoover boys, Dr. Tones, Relic Recoverist and Relic rangers for helping through the long frozen winters by recording such great hunts.

Congrats on the good year! I did ok for myself this season. I'm in MN so there are just a handful of potential days to hunt, like yourself.

My goals for the winter are to get down south at least once, purchase an xp deus, and do some better research on hunting spots for next season. My lead bucket Lister for next season is a gold ring!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom