jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The president of Colombia is calling for an accelerated recovery of the 300-year-old wreck of the ship San Jose that may hold a $20 billion stash of treasure, but an American company says half of that loot is theirs.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thought of the original finders getting screwed out of a fair share makes me sick to my stomach... its appalling and I never thought this sort of theft in plain sight would be tolerated by the masses.
everyone just allows it to happen over and over citing the heart string / heritage BS spun in order to get it all.
The greed machine is going to be running on all cylinders with this one.

Pure and simple "sanctioned theft" on the horizon.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get the Feeling it's Gonna Be Spain/Odyssey All Over again.
This might not happen on this one as Columbia might just throw up the middle flag and tell Spain to set sail.
Amazing that they pillaged it-then lay claim to it-now that's rich.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case those who read all this dont know...
Sea Search Armada.. which at the time was Glocca Morra... discovered it in 1981 and turned over the co-ords to the Gov.... WITH AN agreement that they would receive half of recovered treasures.

Of course all these years later... "this never happened".
They played the "long con" on Sea Search alright.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
We need to establish some odds on the various outcomes and make book on the whole thing. Since sports betting is now legal online all that needs to be done is to declare treasure hunting a "sport" and we're good to go. Treasure Net could even set up a forum for discussion and release a betting app. Just off the top of my head I'd say in a bet:win scenario the odds right now are:

Columbia gets it all - 2:3
Spain gets it all - 5:2
The original agreement is upheld - 2:7
Looters find the wreck site and help themselves - 1:15

Who wants to be the bank?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We need to establish some odds on the various outcomes and make book on the whole thing. Since sports betting is now legal online all that needs to be done is to declare treasure hunting a "sport" and we're good to go. Treasure Net could even set up a forum for discussion and release a betting app. Just off the top of my head I'd say in a bet:win scenario the odds right now are:

Columbia gets it all - 2:3
Spain gets it all - 5:2
The original agreement is upheld - 2:7
Looters find the wreck site and help themselves - 1:15

Who wants to be the bank?
1:15 odds on the looters is pretty secure since it's in 700 ft of sea.
Columbian Navy wanting to do some target practice :laughing7:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
1:15 odds on the looters is pretty secure since it's in 700 ft of sea.
Columbian Navy wanting to do some target practice

Since it was Colombia, I was trying to cover myself in the slim chance that the cartels diverted and deployed one of their narcosubs to stay below the waves and use a cable to retrieve some stuff. But you're right. The Colombian Navy could be some stiff vigorish. It also raises the question of who else in the world--private individual, corporation or government would have a sub that could get in there undetected. Maybe there should also be some dark horse odds on that Ballard guy...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since it was Colombia, I was trying to cover myself in the slim chance that the cartels diverted and deployed one of their narcosubs to stay below the waves and use a cable to retrieve some stuff. But you're right. The Colombian Navy could be some stiff vigorish. It also raises the question of who else in the world--private individual, corporation or government would have a sub that could get in there undetected. Maybe there should also be some dark horse odds on that Ballard guy...
Gee the cartels are floating in $$$ and a Triton sub might be just the ticket for a little sea pillaging.
Drop a few bales off the starboard side-go to wreck site-dive-retrieve-watch on the 6 o'clock news of navy rounding up floating bales.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I formally claim the treasure for myself. Now that these words have been written they are binding. Seal of approval: 🎖

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread