Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan and I recovered this interesting relic along with a number of other iron artifacts when digging a 1700s pit a couple weekends ago. Even though it was first thought to be a shackle, it was confirmed in Hume's book that it was indeed an 18th century barrel padlock (see item #1 in the pic), and is one of 4 padlocks found in this pit so far. It was extremely encrusted when initially recovered, and it spent almost 2 weeks in the electrolysis tank at high amperage before I had to finally take it out for fear of removing too much of the base metal in spots. We also found what we think might be the key that fits this lock which would be pretty cool. It's shown in the pics below both adjacent to and inserted into the lock. The lock releases on the right and the hinge is on the left. We also have a number of other interesting iron artifacts that came from this pit that still need to be cleaned up. To help with that I just finished putting together a new setup that will allow for cleaning of multiple items at one time. But I have a feeling it will take much longer than usual due to the current being split multiple ways. Will be an interesting experiment anyway.

Attachments

• barrel lock.jpg
    barrel lock.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 160
  • barrel lock1.JPG
    barrel lock1.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 161
  • barrel lock2.JPG
    barrel lock2.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 169
  • barrel lock4.JPG
    barrel lock4.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 11
Now that is awesome!!!Reminds me of the Chinese locks.Thanks for sharing that Bill,and great preservation!

To help with that I just finished putting together a new setup that will allow for cleaning of multiple items at one time. But I have a feeling it will take much longer than usual due to the current being split multiple ways. Will be an interesting experiment anyway.

Not necessarily. A circuit only draws as much power as it needs to function within the limits of the power supply. For instance, if you have a circuit that draws 10V from a source that supplies 150V, you could attach up to 14 other similar circuits directly to the 150V without limiting their capability. However, if you exceed the source's capability, the circuit will of course not function properly; for instance, if you supplied a 10V circuit with a 5V source. Daisy-chaining circuits can reduce their effectiveness due to the voltage divider rule that you're suspicious of, so you should link each part of your setup directly to the original power supply, which I assume to be the wall (which outputs 110Vac or 220Vac depending on your wiring).

Very cool find Bill:thumbsup:

Interesting i never seen or heard of one before..

Blaze

I've never seen a lock like that before, Bill. What a cool relic to find. Thanks for the education!

Sweet !!! Congrats !! Never seen one

That's a very interesting lock Bill. I love finding items that speak to the way people use to live and the items that they used. Great find and it's nice to see you and your buddy Dan are at it again.
Good luck this season,
ZDD

Man that's a great find! Would love to dig one of those!!!

Congrats,

Buck

Very nice Bill! Question for you - what process do you use to seal? Do you heat iron pieces up to remove any remaining moisture? What did you seal this piece with? Thanks.

Bill, that is one sweet relic! Nice save of history and a great addition to your collection..

That is a colonial find you don't see everyday!.... a museum piece for sure... congrats

That is very cool, WTG!

Great save on the lock Bill, and thanks for the posting up on the history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back