What's new

Colonial Copper Books?

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Trolling for opinions on what, if any, are the best books for imitation coppers?? Googling is a great and wonderful... but I still like a good book as a reference. I have Breen's book that covers most of my coppers but lacks when it comes to imitations.

Thanks,
MB
 
Work in Progress in general, if you mean mostly the British coppers from the 18th century, then it is a works in progress, that aspect of the coin collecting world is still rather new and a good book is just not out there that covers alot.

You could try and pick up "Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies" by William T Anton, Jr & Bruce Kesse, but otherwise the only book on that time frame that is more general to buy would be the more recent Whitman book Colonial and Early American Coins" by Q David Bowers...

The first book mentioned is only about non regal coins, so see if you can at least find that one somewhere on-line to buy, like Abe books, etc.

Don
 
Don in SJ said:
Work in Progress in general, if you mean mostly the British coppers from the 18th century, then it is a works in progress, that aspect of the coin collecting world is still rather new and a good book is just not out there that covers alot.

You could try and pick up "Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies" by William T Anton, Jr & Bruce Kesse, but otherwise the only book on that time frame that is more general to buy would be the more recent Whitman book Colonial and Early American Coins" by Q David Bowers...

The first book mentioned is only about non regal coins, so see if you can at least find that one somewhere on-line to buy, like Abe books, etc.

Don

Thanks! Ordered the Bowers book.. and I'll start shopping for the Anton & Kesse... Amazon had it used at $150!

MB
 
MonkeyBoy said:
Don in SJ said:
Work in Progress in general, if you mean mostly the British coppers from the 18th century, then it is a works in progress, that aspect of the coin collecting world is still rather new and a good book is just not out there that covers alot.

You could try and pick up "Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies" by William T Anton, Jr & Bruce Kesse, but otherwise the only book on that time frame that is more general to buy would be the more recent Whitman book Colonial and Early American Coins" by Q David Bowers...

The first book mentioned is only about non regal coins, so see if you can at least find that one somewhere on-line to buy, like Abe books, etc.

Don

Thanks! Ordered the Bowers book.. and I'll start shopping for the Anton & Kesse... Amazon had it used at $150!

MB

The Whitman book is a good book, will help ID lots of State Coppers, and other colonials, but like I said, there is no complete book out on counterfeits, a work in project. The Anton & Kesse book explains about counterfeits, different types, etc, but no way would I even pay more the 50 for that book. I don't remember what I paid when I first bought mine, when it was being actively sold, but doubt it was over 50 dollar or there about.

Don
 
Don in SJ said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Don in SJ said:
Work in Progress in general, if you mean mostly the British coppers from the 18th century, then it is a works in progress, that aspect of the coin collecting world is still rather new and a good book is just not out there that covers alot.

You could try and pick up "Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies" by William T Anton, Jr & Bruce Kesse, but otherwise the only book on that time frame that is more general to buy would be the more recent Whitman book Colonial and Early American Coins" by Q David Bowers...

The first book mentioned is only about non regal coins, so see if you can at least find that one somewhere on-line to buy, like Abe books, etc.

Don

Thanks! Ordered the Bowers book.. and I'll start shopping for the Anton & Kesse... Amazon had it used at $150!

MB

The Whitman book is a good book, will help ID lots of State Coppers, and other colonials, but like I said, there is no complete book out on counterfeits, a work in project. The Anton & Kesse book explains about counterfeits, different types, etc, but no way would I even pay more the 50 for that book. I don't remember what I paid when I first bought mine, when it was being actively sold, but doubt it was over 50 dollar or there about.

Don

I bought a new copy for $20 2-3 years ago.
 
That is probably the range I paid for mine, I just don't remember, could not have been too much or I would have remembered ;D
 
Don in SJ said:
That is probably the range I paid for mine, I just don't remember, could not have been too much or I would have remembered ;D

I almost did better than that. (free) At the time I was talking to Bruce Kesse almost every day but he didn't have an extra copy to send me.

I was lucky, just searched on Ebay and found a new copy with a buy it now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom