What's new

Colonial digging in crazy hot weather….

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
2,478
Reaction score
1,966
Golden Thread
2
Location
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well had it in my head that I was going to get a colonial dig and 34 degrees Celsius/or 93.2.6 degrees Fahrenheit Celsius plus humidity for 10 hours wasn't going to stop me. Was able to hit a few fields that opened up that we weren't able to hit before and it paid off in a big way. I managed of an almost unheard of 50 musket balls in a single hunt (109 being my best), 1873 Injun, 1739 2 sol french coin which you can see clean up very nice and is my best shape 2 sol to date. Other finds were a gold heart shape thing with 1/10 marked on it and not sure what it is..any ideas? lead bale with some light markings, lead piece with looks like a tree carved into it... Sigots, very big fishing weight, and 2 acorn crotal bells… Took about 12 hours to rehydrate….would I do it all over…you bet!! thanks for looking...
 

Attachments

  • 2 sol.webp
    2 sol.webp
    17 KB · Views: 604
  • double sol 2.webp
    double sol 2.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 603
  • 2 sol 2.webp
    2 sol 2.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 1873.webp
    1873.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 566
  • 1:10.webp
    1:10.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 570
  • 2015-08-25 Group.webp
    2015-08-25 Group.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 205
  • lead.webp
    lead.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 616
  • bale 2.webp
    bale 2.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:
Upvote 24
I'd take that over a common dug Spanish silver any day! Hard to find billon that nice. It's a Sou Marque, I didn't bother saying that in the text because I knew the auto correct wouldn't let me. Good enough to cross off the list, although there is dozen of different date and mint combinations and who knows how many die varieties.... so if you find more, pretty sure it will be something different.
 
Last edited:
Very nice finds liking the selection. The 1/10 might be regarding the thickness of the gold plating on the heart.
 
I'd take that over a common dug Spanish silver any day! Hard to find billon that nice. It's a Sou Marque, I didn't bother saying that in the text because I knew the auto correct wouldn't let me. Good enough to cross off the list, although there is dozen of different date and mint combinations and who knows how many die varieties.... so if you find more, pretty sure it will be something different.


I didn't mind digging this one up, brings it to my oldest french (legible date) that I have… These would be easier to walk over than a spanish and like you said, everyone I dig will be different….
 
Very nice finds liking the selection. The 1/10 might be regarding the thickness of the gold plating on the heart.

I was thinking that and now that you said it…gotta be it…thanks!!
 
The heart shaped item looks like the back of a "Mickey Mouse" style lock--obviously a small one, maybe for luggage or something. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • Mickey Mouse Lock.webp
    Mickey Mouse Lock.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
The heart shaped item looks like the back of a "Mickey Mouse" style lock--obviously a small one, maybe for luggage or something. :thumbsup:

thinking that it may be off a small locket style like that…thanks
 
You guys had a nice hunt! Probably good that I couldn't make it, that heat would have killed me haha. Hopefully we can keep the good hunts going into the fall!
 
Really nice,, lots of digging,, to bad it was so humid,,, but really nice
 
Very cool group of finds
 
Looks like you made the most out of your hot weather hunt. Nice job on that huge pile of lead, and also on that awesome French coin!
 
Dang!
Your tearin it up & that 1873 Came out Real Nice.

Davers
 
Very nice 2 Sol. I like the keg spigots too. As Erik said the heart shaped piece may be off a small lock like this one.
 

Attachments

  • 11-13-11 002.webp
    11-13-11 002.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 144
Thanks everyone...it was great to dig so many targets, days like this are hard to come by and I really enjoy them when they come up!!
 
The finds alone would make your head spin and then add on a dose of heat stroke to spin it back in the other direction!
You crazy guy, too hot for digging for me
 
Steve,

You're one dedicated guy......in heat like that I last 2 or 3 hours tops....nice finds though.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Congrats on the French Billion, tough find.
I got out tuesday, same type of weather sweat not dripping, but streaming off my nose, only I didn't get a decent find. The temps should be better soon.
 
Love that french coin and that's a nice ih. Just don't see many of those French coins. Way to tough it out bud
 
Hello great coins nice job on recovering them !
I'd like to ask you hou you cleaned them you can pm me if you would. Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom