Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this over the weekend on a site of an old farmhouse. Thought it was modern but today I cleaned it and saw the hallmarks on the bottom. There are three markings: a crowned lion's head, a lion, and a "C". I think this might be over 200-year old English sterling silver. :D Maybe it's from the age of pirates! :skullflag::blackbeard::laughing7:

Edit: Research indicates that this is indeed an early colonial artifact. It was made in London in 1738 and was probably exported to the 13 colonies shortly thereafter. Despite my initial assumptions of it being a salt shaker I'm now convinced it is a "pepper pot". This is the oldest and most unique artifact I have found to date. Thanks to all who helped in identifying and dating this rare and interesting piece. Last find of 2014. Happy New Year! :D

DSC08498.JPG

DSC08499.JPG

DSC08500.JPG
Here is the bottom showing the very old looking hallmarks:
DSC08494.JPG
lion mark2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 71

Lefty

Sep 13, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, ACE 350, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find, congrats on the BANNER.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's an amazing find, certainly not something one finds every day! :occasion14:

Congratulations on making the BANNER too!
Dave

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This piece just blows my mind! What a significant, beautiful piece of history! The banner is very well deserved. It definitely should be admired. Congratulations!!!!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not been on much lately and am glad to see this great find! This item certainly brings to mind the much bandied about cliché saying of "You never know what you will find next!" And gives me the urge to get out there and dig again ! Thanks for sharing this with us =)

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to justice to this great find, as I'm a colonial-period hunter. I never posted a reply, but I figure better late than not at all. That's a unique find with lots of age, and its condition is grand. Congrats on a great find!!! I'm glad to see that it made the banner. Now, go get the rest of that table setting! How about a silver wine goblet?

Last edited:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A truly fantastic piece :hello2: I'm a colonial relic hunter and would be thrilled to find that. A definitely once in a lifetime find:occasion14: Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread