What's new

Colonial Iron

JoshW

Full Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2018
Messages
156
Reaction score
456
Golden Thread
0
Location
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these iron pieces in a field on the Brandywine battlefield. In the same field, I found a jews harp, lead pencil, several musket balls and buttons as well, so I suspect it was a campsite. The British camped on the battlefield for several days after the battle. Any idea what these are? The one with the large hole has a curly cue shape at the end. Thanks in advance for your responses. IMG_0323.webpIMG_0322.webpIMG_0324.webp

Josh
 
The curved piece with the square hole looks like a coffee mill crank.

antique-cast-iron-top-coffee-grinder-419-600x600.webp
 
Upvote 0
The curly cue piece may be part of a 'tommy stick' - colonial era candle holder.

09a463e6a8a0b985d8c0a950ed5ed87d.webp
 
Upvote 0
Curled piece could be a hook for a wagon singletree.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies! The coffee mill crank sure looks close and the tommy stick and singletree hooks are possibilities. Seeing the picture of the Tommy stick, definitely solves a mystery for another piece I dug in the same area. That piece looks just like the one of the left.
 
Upvote 0
I'm going with single tree hook. It looks heavy enough to attach a small chain to.
 
Upvote 0
Great id's kills me how people can do that lol
 
Upvote 0
The curved piece is a heel. It was bolted down a chain was placed on the heel then it was hammered down.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! The heel bolt certainly looks like a match. Any ideas one the rectangular piece? I was thinking some kind of weight or maybe a striker for flint. I know most strikers aren't shaped like that though.

Josh
 
Upvote 0
The curled item with a hole might be a single rams horn nut. The text that was with photo is here.

Wrought iron, unlike modern steels, has a grain, much like wood. This large forged nut shows the grain. In forging wrought iron, operations would have to be done in consideration of this. Holes punched near the end of a bar would be liable to break out. If the bar is spread first, forming a cusp, a hole punched on the cusp would be less likely to exceed its boundaries. Many decorative elements in traditional ironwork also serve a functional purpose.nut.webp

The link to the site is here. Blacksmith's Blog Posts
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom