What's new

Colonial maybe post colonial?

Gabba360

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
76
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Found this today in the park.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 081.webp
    Picture 081.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Picture 080.webp
    Picture 080.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 402
  • Picture 082.webp
    Picture 082.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 327
  • Picture 083.webp
    Picture 083.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 321
I have to look at some of my books, but from first glance it looks like a Charles II Halfpenny, might be wrong on that, but the Obverse looks like that in my opinion. Believe they are 1670's.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Im no expert but it looks like a King George the ll farthing from great Britan.
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I have to look at some of my books, but from first glance it looks like a Charles II Halfpenny, might be wrong on that, but the Obverse looks like that in my opinion. Believe they are 1670's.

Don

Holy Cow, that's an oldie. Great find. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I have to look at some of my books, but from first glance it looks like a Charles II Halfpenny, might be wrong on that, but the Obverse looks like that in my opinion. Believe they are 1670's.

Don

yeap 1670s :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Farthing probably but no scale to tell
 
Upvote 0
Better pics to show scale added. The wording and pic look like the one on the link from ss. Is that what it is?
 
Upvote 0
Gabba360 said:
Better pics to show scale added. The wording and pic look like the one on the link from ss. Is that what it is?

Yes, Farthing
 
Upvote 0
wow Old! Not asking you to give your spot away but would that park happen to be in any particular country? :wink:
 
Upvote 0
CoinHELP, there is no doubt that the coin is a 1670's Charles II farthing, the CAR and other letters are easily seen on the Obverse side.

Don
 
Upvote 0
CoinHELP! said:
It appears it could be a Machin Mills Halfpenny. I can barely make out REX on the obverse and part of NIA on the reverse. I wish there was a date, but I don't think it can be any older than 1747. Here's the link http://coinauctionshelp.com/imitati...lib.virginia.edu/kinney/small/ciifarthing.htm
 
Upvote 0
1747%201_2P%20Machin's%20Mills%20Halfpenny.jpg
1747%201_2P%20Machin's%20Mills%20Halfpenny2.jpg

1747 Machins Mills

I might be wrong, but it's a possiblity considering the condition of the coin. The supposed lettering appears to be too far away from the rim, and might be the result of the corrossion, and not the actual lettering at all. I have examined coins where the corrosion creates "false" letters and numbers. I'm just not 100% on this one. It's like finding Waldo to me. lol

The Machin Mills Coinage borrowed heavily from the Farthing designs. It's a neat find anyway.
 
Upvote 0
CoinHELP! said:
1747%201_2P%20Machin's%20Mills%20Halfpenny.jpg
1747%201_2P%20Machin's%20Mills%20Halfpenny2.jpg

1747 Machins Mills

I might be wrong, but it's a possiblity considering the condition of the coin. The supposed lettering appears to be too far away from the rim, and might be the result of the corrossion, and not the actual lettering at all. I have examined coins where the corrosion creates "false" letters and numbers. I'm just not 100% on this one. It's like finding Waldo to me. lol

The Machin Mills Coinage borrowed heavily from the Farthing designs. It's a neat find anyway.

Definately a 1670s Farthing. I find them in this condition all the time & far worst condition, easy to tell in the hand.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
6
Views
826
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
556
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas??
Replies
6
Views
722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom