What's new

Colonial pit dig yields some interesting clay pipe bowls and stems

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I always look forward to my annual invite from my good buddy Stan to accompany him to dig in a huge and very early trash pit that we’ve been hitting for the last 10+ years. This spot has turned up some amazing artifacts, and we usually have our hearts set on recovering a few black glass bottle seals from the late 1600s to very early 1700s. But it’s getting harder to find a productive spot to dig, and we’re being forced to hit areas close to big trees that have major root issues. The first area I probed out had good potential, but after a couple hours and only about 5 small pipe stem pieces I decided to fill it in and move on. Eventually I found a small spot next to a couple big trees that probed out nicely and the test hole indicated that nobody had dug in that spot before as the layers were still intact. I started pulling out loads of onion and mallet bottle glass along with what appears to be the base of a shaft and globe bottle (mid-1600s) which is a great sign, along with random pottery shards and quite a few pipe stems. Eventually I recovered an intact early 1700s pipe bowl, and a partial bowl with a more bulbous shape from the mid-to-late 1600s. Many times these will have a maker's mark on the large, flat heel but not this time. Although I had not yet eyeballed a bottle seal, I felt pretty confident that one would turn up in the sifter when I refilled the hole. But that was not to be. Yesterday when I was cleaning the 50+ pipe stems, I noticed some interesting markings on 3 of them. Turns out the one depicting the image of a queen was indeed that of Queen Anne who reigned in England from 1702 until 1714. And the other 2 stems were also from that same period, but unfortunately they did not match up for a potential reconstruction. And one of the other partial bowls had markings on either side of the small heel (gauntlet on one side and crown on the other). Also found a nice little iron wedge. Although no killer finds were made, I’m looking forward to a return visit and pick up where I left off at that last spot. Not sure if it will be this season or not, but it will definitely something I’ll be looking forward to with great anticipation.
 

Attachments

  • 020616a.webp
    020616a.webp
    178.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 020616b.webp
    020616b.webp
    201.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 020616c.webp
    020616c.webp
    78.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 020616d.webp
    020616d.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 020616e.webp
    020616e.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 020616j.webp
    020616j.webp
    76.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 020616i.webp
    020616i.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 020616h.webp
    020616h.webp
    87.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 020616g.webp
    020616g.webp
    220.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 020616f.webp
    020616f.webp
    122.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 020616k.webp
    020616k.webp
    186.7 KB · Views: 180
  • queen anne pipe stem1a.webp
    queen anne pipe stem1a.webp
    161 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Upvote 54
wow nice finds
 
Nice finds Bill. Good to see you digging in the dirt! What a great assortment of nice old goodies.
 
That pipe stem is a really interesting find and not something I have ever seen before. I sure thought a seal would surface, always next time. Good digs Bill.
 
Definitely my kind of digging Bill! If that truly is a base of a shaft and globe bottle then I hope you at least find the neck if not more on your next visit because even a partial reconstructed one would be incredible.
 
Looks like you got a good workout Bill. Those seals must be tough to spot unless you sift everything.
 
Definitely my kind of digging Bill! If that truly is a base of a shaft and globe bottle then I hope you at least find the neck if not more on your next visit because even a partial reconstructed one would be incredible.

That's the 2nd S&G base I've dug there along with a neck or 2 as well. But there's so much broken glass in each hole that it would be impossible to reconstruct any single item which is why I leave it all behind except for the larger frags.
 
Bill, that Queen Anne pipe stem is amazing. I was wondering if any of those stems has markings on it the other day... that's really cool some did. That looks like a ton of fun... I'd much rather have dug in a pit on Sat then walk through snow for my VA Half penny and assorted other meager digs! Nice job man.
 
Bill this will be your year. If you've been hitting that spot for 10+ years now I suspect you'll hit the mother load of them all in 1 location.
 
I've been thinking about building a siffter and trying that type of hunt. I have a spot that I think would produce well. Looks like a lot of fun and you sure found some great artifacts. Thanks for sharing[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut
 
Nice finds Keep posting
 
Wow I'm jealous of those pipe bowls. I would love to find one at some point. Really glad to see you out doing what you love my friend. I'm sure it felt great
 
Interesting stems-that is a very old site. Keep up the good work!
 
Bill - I think that Queen Anne image on the pipe step is fantastic. You should post up another super macro image of Queen Anne. That's a really intriguing piece. Very old. Finds like that are going to motivate me to try my luck at digging pits again.
 
Bill - I think that Queen Anne image on the pipe step is fantastic. You should post up another super macro image of Queen Anne. That's a really intriguing piece. Very old. Finds like that are going to motivate me to try my luck at digging pits again.

Hopefully this is a better shot Jim. When I was cleaning these stems I almost didn't see the images, and it made me realize that I need to go back through the hundreds of stems that have come from this same pit and examine them much more closely. No telling what I may have missed.

queen anne pipe stem1a.webp
 
Those pipe stems are fantastic examples. Hope to see some seals soon!

Russ
 
Nice finds Bill, I really like those pipe stems, I have yet to come across any like them.
Congrats,
ZDD
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom