What's new

Colonial rat-tail pewter spoon bowl

pax_in_ma

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2014
Messages
101
Reaction score
265
Golden Thread
1
Location
Bedford, MA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro;
BH Tracker IV ;
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did not realize what I had until I got home: a broken rat-tail pewter spoon bowl. Most of the finds in this eastern Massachusetts colonial field have been pewter. Pewter rat-tail spoons were prevalent in the early 1700s.
 

Attachments

  • 1429799269452.webp
    1429799269452.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 1429799284651.webp
    1429799284651.webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 4
I see the head but where is its tai l. Finding those are neat got a few myself.vanzutphen
 
I see the head but where is its tai l. Finding those are neat got a few myself.vanzutphen

Top picture. First fragment from the right. It tapers onto the 2nd (middle) fragment but can't see it well on the picture.
 
Nice. I've found several on colonial sites here in the Shenandoah Valley.
 
Thanks for the history lesson. Nice job..
 
According to Hume, they were made from about 1710 to maybe 1740 or 50. As time went on the rat tail became shorter, and it looks like yours has a short tail which should help to date your spoon more precisely.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom