Colonial Relics, Mystery Pendant, and Bayonet(?)

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in a coin drought, but I got out between showers yesterday and found a few nice relics. Two I'm particularly interested in getting some feedback on. Searching the internet, I can't find anything closely resembling the openwork pendant. The site goes back to the early 1700's and probably not much beyond that century. I'm also curious about the object that I'm calling a broken bayonet. If it is one, it's my first. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking.

group obverse.jpg group reverse.jpg
pendant front and back.jpg
guide back.jpg strap guide.jpg
These two strap guide pieces do not fit together. Thought for sure that they would.
knee buckle.jpg
bayonet 1.jpg bayonet 2.jpg
bayonet 3.jpg bayonet 4.jpg

Upvote 20

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all these but I don,t have any ideas as to ID Except your pendant seems to have a depiction of Baal on it.Just the first thing that popped into my head so could be wrong.I believe that could be a very corroded bayonet.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this lettering I see on the pendant?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 8.24.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 8.24.55 PM.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 56

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are great finds! I like the way the pendant loop is open. I don't know about the bayonet piece but I do know there are lots of plow tips of one type or another out there that look like they do the same thing as a bayonet.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great finds! I like the way the pendant loop is open. I don't know about the bayonet piece but I do know there are lots of plow tips of one type or another out there that look like they do the same thing as a bayonet.
Thanks, Gene. I think you and Indian Steve are on the right track. It's hard to see in the photo but the entire length of the tapered part is concave like a gouge, which makes me think it's not part of a sickle bar mower, but it definitely could be something agricultural. Maybe it was part of a plow, planter or rake of some kind. I haven't been able to find an example of a concave bayonet either.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this lettering I see on the pendant?

Dang, Mud Hut! I believe you're right. Good eyes. Now I'm anxious to look with a magnifier, but not anxious enough to go out in the rain to my shop. I'll check tomorrow morning and report back. Thanks.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I don't think that's a bayonet either. A bayonet is a weapon designed for quick stabbing and removal in face-to-face combat thus they're usually perfectly straight with no protrusions. The tines on the side of that item could make removal from the target difficult if they were caught behind a rib or some other bone.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice group of interesting finds LS. :thumbsup:
The 'openwork pendant' is probably just that, date wise I'm thinking it's from the early-Georgian period (c1820 - 30).

This round relic looks to be either a horse buckle protector or a rosette, as it looks similar to one I found years ago.
The rectangular piece looks to be a drawer hardware escutcheon plate. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• group obverse-crop01.jpg
    group obverse-crop01.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 36
  • group obverse-crop02.jpg
    group obverse-crop02.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 42
  • SDC18993.JPG
    SDC18993.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 39

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! Not sure about the bayonet, but still cool!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of interesting finds LS. :thumbsup:
The 'openwork pendant' is probably just that, date wise I'm thinking it's from the early-Georgian period (c1820 - 30).

This round relic looks to be either a horse buckle protector or a rosette, as it looks similar to one I found years ago.
The rectangular piece looks to be a drawer hardware escutcheon plate. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I was thinking the rectangular/floral piece might be some kind of strap guide because of the spacing of the holes, but you're right it looks more like a furniture piece. It could have had bolts with spherical heads and sockets for supporting a drawer pull.
I think the circular piece is a bridle boss. There are a number of examples like it on the website, Diagnostic Artifacts in Maryland. https://apps.jefpat.maryland.gov/diagnostic/SmallFinds/BridleBosses/BridleBossesBySite.htm . They have some excavated examples that are still attached to piece of bridle.
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.34.02 AM.png
This is a screenshot from the website. The dates are not specific to the artifacts. They relate to the sites where the objects were dug. It's a good source of information for colonial finds.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost Signal,

Those are some great finds. I believe one of the pieces you are asking information about is European from the medieval period though it may be newer - Crusader or Westfront can give you a better idea of the time period. What you think looks like a pendant is a clothes/dress fastener - here is a link to an example from the British Portable Antiquities Scheme website (it is a great reference site) https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1008288 Again, great finds. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost Signal,

I have found a better example of the dress fastener from the site and it is listed as post medieval (1500-1650s) https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1021802

I also found on the site what looks a match to one of your other pieces, it also is a fastener but from the mid 17th century. https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1021888

Again, Crusader or Westfront can give you better information on the time period.

I used to find a number of the these items when I was detecting in Germany. They can be found throughout the UK, France, and Germany.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

PS You are on a great site with some old colonial history from the beginning of our country.

Last edited:

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Looks like a promising site!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost Signal,

I have found a better example of the dress fastener from the site and it is listed as post medieval (1500-1650s) https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1021802

I also found on the site what looks a match to one of your other pieces, it also is a fastener but from the mid 17th century. https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1021888

Again, Crusader or Westfront can give you better information on the time period.

I used to find a number of the these items when I was detecting in Germany. They can be found throughout the UK, France, and Germany.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

PS You are on a great site with some old colonial history from the beginning of our country.

Thanks for all the research, Walt. Being a fastener would explain why the loop is oriented the way that it, but not sure how it would fasten to a garment. Maybe sewn through the holes? The PAS website also had some "harness pendants" with openwork.

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That artifact sure looks like a pendant and has a figure on it so it seems to have some meaning. That seems like it would be more likely to be jewelry of some kind. The figure has to be identifiable, looks like octopus tentacles and one eye. Hopefully someone on here will see it and know what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread