Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a 307-Year-Old Coin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What's up, fellow Tnetter zoysters? Well, KirkPA, PACO, and I got out to the wayside tavern site today. Overall, it was a great metal detecting day on a beautiful metal detecting site with a lovely metal detecting breeze blowing by us metal detectorists the entire day! :D

The day began with the usual butt-ins for KirkPA and me. So, being a great metal detectorist :D, I decided to up my game by gridding out areas with zoyboy passion and determination. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swingin' my trusty analog detector down a row, when I was startled by a large nail on the ground. I yelled over to KirkPA, "SQUARE NAIL, LARGE SQUARE NAIL!" He looked over and couldn't do anything but laugh. Once I picked up that beauty, I placed it into my pouch, and pranced down the row a little more, hoping for a coin or another 1700s butt-in. About 20 yards down the row from where I got the square nail, I got a nice, strong "P" on "PENNY" hit on my analog detector. Well, to make another long metal detecting story short, I eventually found the target: a 1700 clipped Colonial copper. After I realized what I had, I instantly took my headphones off, and started running around saying, "CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED COIN, DUDES!" KirkPA did not understand what I was saying because he instantly said, "That would be a 15-yard penalty." Eventually, after he realized how much I was zoying out, he dropped his detector and started leaping cornrows with his relic shovel in his hand. Once PACO got to the zoy celebration, we started slapping high fives with KirkPA and I yelling, "YEAH, YES, I KNEW THEY WERE HERE." Here are a few pictures of the coin:
clippedcopper011-2.jpg

clippedcopper006-2.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

KirkPA continued to find handfuls of Colonial butt-ins throughout the day. After every butt-in, he would scream, "COLONIAL BUTT-IN." Great job on a relic kind of day, KirkPA. Pictured below are his finds for the day:
buttons001.jpg

Here is the picture of my butt-ins:
butt-ins006.jpg

PACO also had a relic day, finding 5 butt-ins and 5 musketballs. Great job, Bud!

I am not sure what type of coin I found today, even though I do know that it is British. KirkPA believes that it is a William III, so any information that anyone would know would be greatly appreciated. The coin is a bust facing left with "MVS" letters on the obverse.

In conclusion, I am a metal detectorist who goes "aaaaaaaaaall" year for a few nice coins, usually 1700s and older. I know for a metal detecting fact that "Mr. Walter" would be proud of my style.

Our Total Finds from this Site in Two Trips:
-45 butt-ins
-25 musketballs
-late-1700s shoe buckle
-Clipped Colonial coin

zoyster

Upvote 0
PACO said:
YO KIRK, I NEARLY FELL OFF MY CHAIR WHEN I SAW THAT PIC OF YOU WITH THE KISSES . I HAD TO SHOW THE WIFE AND GIRLS. WE ALL LAUGHED OUR
&SSES OFF..........SEND ME A PIC OF THAT TO MY E-MAIL. I MUST PUT THAT ON MY WALL PAPER...........

Yo, PACO, I only give "Free KirkPA Kisses" to the KirkPA-haters. hahaha I will send it to your email.

Pac, we must keep hitting this site! It will give up some more nice coins!

THANKS HOMIE, ZOY ID THE MAN TODAY. 300 YEAR OLD COPPA WITH A DATE ...........H@LL YEA

PACO said:
THANKS HOMIE, ZOY ID THE MAN TODAY. 300 YEAR OLD COPPA WITH A DATE ...........H@LL YEA

Thanks, PACO! I hope you get the 1700 cut silver piece, man. We will leave KirkPA drooling with his fifty million buttons. :D

zoyster

Now that is a great hunt lots of history ,good finds and good friends . Good stuff.

ModernMiner said:
Way to go guys!!!

Zoy- Congrats on a great find Sir.

You guys are certainly the Button Beeee-atches. Maybe that's what that "B" is for? ;D

Great post & pix.
A toast to you three on a great hunt.
-MM-

LMFAO! You are a hoot, bud!

VERY nice find indeed. I'm not sure what I would do if I found something that old. 8)

Johnny Irby said:
VERY nice find indeed. I'm not sure what I would do if I found something that old. 8)
Johnny. You would have to invent a new dance if you found something that old. If Kirk would have found that, he probably would have done the jovial Gibbons dance again although I'm sure he has another dance up his sleeve for his next find. Kind of like Chad Johnson scoring a touchdown.

Evolution said:
Johnny Irby said:
Johnny. You would have to invent a new dance if you found something that old. If Kirk would have found that, he probably would have done the jovial Gibbons dance again although I'm sure he has another dance up his sleeve for his next find. Kind of like Chad Johnson scoring a touchdown.

LMAO! I have some new ones in mind, but now I have to find some coppas to perform them. I have a feeling one dance will be coming up soon. ;) :D By the way, Rob, I usually like to bring my "tighty" undies, too. hahaha

Congrats on the 1700. Wow...Hope you all find even more goodies for us to drool over.

DANGLANGLEY

This coin deserves to be on the Banner! Wellllll, if I had Moderator status, it would be up there now. hahaha

Zoy, your ra-search is the very best! :-*

KirkPA

GREAT STORY.Nice finds.Sounds like you PA Duds had a real fun day.I like seeing all your finds. Roger

Hey Zoy, just read your post tonight. Congrats, dude, on your 1700 clipped coppa. That tavern site looks like it's gonna be producing for you guys for a while with all those buttons and other relics.

I'm waiting for the day you, Kirk, and Paco all find colonials or old wilver at that site. That will be a day to remember.

Congrats again, bud!! I will have to earn my spot back up at the top of the Kirk 25.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Once again, you guys have shown the skill to scout out a historic spot and find the goods!

Congratulations on the clipped Half Penny from 1700, Zoy!

Very impressive find!

Ridley

Thanks, everyone, for the kind metal detecting words. :D

Captn_SE, I don't believe that I will hold my #1 status very long. Make me proud and go get more wilver, bud!

Bdoo, it is good to see you back on posting. Thanks for the kind words, bud!

zoyboy a.k.a. KylePA :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back