Colonial Wayside Tavern Yields a 307-Year-Old Coin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What's up, fellow Tnetter zoysters? Well, KirkPA, PACO, and I got out to the wayside tavern site today. Overall, it was a great metal detecting day on a beautiful metal detecting site with a lovely metal detecting breeze blowing by us metal detectorists the entire day! :D

The day began with the usual butt-ins for KirkPA and me. So, being a great metal detectorist :D, I decided to up my game by gridding out areas with zoyboy passion and determination. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swingin' my trusty analog detector down a row, when I was startled by a large nail on the ground. I yelled over to KirkPA, "SQUARE NAIL, LARGE SQUARE NAIL!" He looked over and couldn't do anything but laugh. Once I picked up that beauty, I placed it into my pouch, and pranced down the row a little more, hoping for a coin or another 1700s butt-in. About 20 yards down the row from where I got the square nail, I got a nice, strong "P" on "PENNY" hit on my analog detector. Well, to make another long metal detecting story short, I eventually found the target: a 1700 clipped Colonial copper. After I realized what I had, I instantly took my headphones off, and started running around saying, "CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED, CLIPPED COIN, DUDES!" KirkPA did not understand what I was saying because he instantly said, "That would be a 15-yard penalty." Eventually, after he realized how much I was zoying out, he dropped his detector and started leaping cornrows with his relic shovel in his hand. Once PACO got to the zoy celebration, we started slapping high fives with KirkPA and I yelling, "YEAH, YES, I KNEW THEY WERE HERE." Here are a few pictures of the coin:
clippedcopper011-2.jpg

clippedcopper006-2.jpg

clippedcopper006.jpg

KirkPA continued to find handfuls of Colonial butt-ins throughout the day. After every butt-in, he would scream, "COLONIAL BUTT-IN." Great job on a relic kind of day, KirkPA. Pictured below are his finds for the day:
buttons001.jpg

Here is the picture of my butt-ins:
butt-ins006.jpg

PACO also had a relic day, finding 5 butt-ins and 5 musketballs. Great job, Bud!

I am not sure what type of coin I found today, even though I do know that it is British. KirkPA believes that it is a William III, so any information that anyone would know would be greatly appreciated. The coin is a bust facing left with "MVS" letters on the obverse.

In conclusion, I am a metal detectorist who goes "aaaaaaaaaall" year for a few nice coins, usually 1700s and older. I know for a metal detecting fact that "Mr. Walter" would be proud of my style.

Our Total Finds from this Site in Two Trips:
-45 butt-ins
-25 musketballs
-late-1700s shoe buckle
-Clipped Colonial coin

zoyster

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
KirkPA said:
BuckleBoy said:
So...is that an eagle button in that mess of finds there? Hmmmmmmmm....? Have you cleaned it up yet? I'd like to see an "after" photo.

-Buckeboy

No, it isn't an Eagle but-tin, Buck! Will, what do you think the next coin will be? :D

I think the next coin will be a LC. Draped bust or Flowing Hair.

That's my prediction--and I'm sticking to it. If you find a KGC next, you have to mail it to me ;D

-Buckleboy

I was thinking probably another Colonial coppa. A Flowing Hair would be NICE! LMFAO

Great find Zoy! You are definitely in a hot spot....the Co. B is fantastic also........I sent you a PM early this morning on your copper.

KirkPA said:
BuckleBoy said:
So...is that an eagle button in that mess of finds there? Hmmmmmmmm....? Have you cleaned it up yet? I'd like to see an "after" photo.

-Buckeboy

No, it isn't an Eagle but-tin, Buck! Will, what do you think the next coin will be? :D
I'm going to throw a prediction in here as well. I'll say a King George I coppa. and I predict Paco will find it. LMAO. Kirk knows I'm just trying to rile him up. I hope you guys all find coins the next time out. That would truly be awesome.

Evolution said:
KirkPA said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckeboy

I'm going to throw a prediction in here as well. I'll say a King George I coppa. and I predict Paco will find it. LMAO. Kirk knows I'm just trying to rile him up. I hope you guys all find coins the next time out. That would truly be awesome.

LMFAO! I will let them find the coppas. I will strike it rich with a large Spanish wilver! :D I am a lethal datectorist...actually, Pee-wee is lethal. LMFAO

I would like to thank all of the membas who posted on my thread. It truly means a lot to this zoyster. :D

Right now, KirkPA is drinking a glass of strawberry milk and we are currently talking about our future attack plans for this tavern. KirkPA is also sputtering about how great we are in Central PA and how many treasure hunters can't compete. :D Come on, KirkPA, calm down, man! :D

zoyster

Hey Zoy, I'm glad to see you joined the Cut Coppa Club (CCC). I don't believe Kirk is in that one yet. ;D ;) LMAO....Come on Kirk. I thought all pros had a clipped coppa. ;D ;)

{Sentinel},

Hey, bud, here is a better picture of the B hat pin. What do you think? Could it be one of those that could sell for $200?
hatpin004.jpg

hatpin008.jpg

There are no cracks or chips. There still is some surface dirt on the back of it...it seems very fragile, so I am not going to clean it anymore.

Kirk

Great post and neat find. You know ther's lot's more goodies waitin' to be had. One of you will pop a nice silver out before long.

I'd like to see one of you guys find this type wilver coin...
Sp-2R-Ca-1818.rev.jpg
Either that or a pistareen. ;)

Ridley

Yes those company brass letters are hard to come by these days and that one is in flawless condition. I would say yours would easily go for around $100. Someone that really wanted one in GREAT shape...I could see them paying you $200; either way AWESOME Civil War relic and if I were you I wouldn't sell it anyway!!!! BTW the avatar is awesome LMAO :D ;)

Here are a couple examples of some in BAD shape for 40 dollars (yours is CLEARLY in much better shape):

B.jpg

Click image to enlarge
Company “B” brass letter worn on the Union kepi.
From an old Fredericksburg collection, it was
excavated from the 1863 U.S. 6th Corp camps in
Stafford County, Virginia
$40.00

B2.jpg
Click image to enlarge
$50.00

{Sentinel} said:
Yes those company brass letters are hard to come by these days and that one is in flawless condition. I would say yours would easily go for around $100. Someone that really wanted one in GREAT shape...I could see them paying you $200; either way AWESOME Civil War relic and if I were you I wouldn't sell it anyway!!!! BTW the avatar is awesome LMAO :D ;)

Here are a couple examples of some in BAD shape for 40 dollars (yours is CLEARLY in much better shape):

Click image to enlarge
$40.00

Click image to enlarge
$50.00

Josh,

Thanks for all that info, bud. I am not going to sell it. It is worth more to me in historical value. I found it near where the old road used to be. So, I am thinking sometime around the 1860s, some dude lost it on the road near the tavern.

I am just suprised how well the relic held up. It seems fragile and with a plow moving it around for a hundred years, I am suprised it wasn't "decked."

Kirk

Yeah man, they are VERY fragile...As you can feel they are VERY thin. That is why it is sooo RARE to find one in the condition that you did. AWESOME job Kirk!! Hail yeah bud that is the kind of detectin that I am TALKIN ABOUT..Guerilla pimp detectin'....Thas what I call it anyway!!! ;) ;)

{Sentinel} said:
Yeah man, they are VERY fragile...As you can feel they are VERY thin. That is why it is sooo RARE to find one in the condition that you did. AWESOME job Kirk!! Hail yeah bud that is the kind of detectin that I am TALKIN ABOUT..Guerilla pimp detectin'....Thas what I call it anyway!!! ;) ;)

Thanks, Josh, for all the help. I am officially part of the "Guerilla Pimp Detectin'" club. :D

When are you getting out again? Go make White's proud!

Nice find, but I'm really impressed that you managed to get a pic of a sasquatch while you were out detecting. I've seen their tracks out in the woods but I havn't seen one yet, let alone get close enough to get a picture......

DJ_Quinn said:
Nice find, but I'm really impressed that you managed to get a pic of a sasquatch while you were out detecting. I've seen their tracks out in the woods but I havn't seen one yet, let alone get close enough to get a picture......

I know, bud, it wasn't too difficult in getting a picture of the "sisquish" I was probably about 20 yards away from the beast, so I was able to get a great snapshot of his jib.

zoyster

Great finds----Congrats

KirkPA said:
{Sentinel} said:

Thanks, Josh, for all the help. I am officially part of the "Guerilla Pimp Detectin'" club. :D

Yep. You are DEFINITELY part of the "club" now ;)

I got out on Sunday to try a perspective spot that has had a few colonials pulled. Found some brass "object", a wheatie, and a 1966 Quarter SO as you can see, it wasn't worth me posting. The ground here is VERY HARD due to the drought we have been in.....but that don't stop me. Manganos and I are suppose to be getting together the weekend after next to do a HUGE field in the direct line of Lee's Retreat. That will be awesome. Did you see my last post? I went out last Sunday and found some nice relics as well....Plan on getting back up to those spots on Friday through Sunday. I will definitely have some stuff to post come Sunday ;) ;) Whites WILL strike again :D ;D

{Sentinel} said:
KirkPA said:
{Sentinel} said:

Yep. You are DEFINITELY part of the "club" now ;)

I got out on Sunday to try a perspective spot that has had a few colonials pulled. Found some brass "object", a wheatie, and a 1966 Quarter SO as you can see, it wasn't worth me posting. The ground here is VERY HARD due to the drought we have been in.....but that don't stop me. Manganos and I are suppose to be getting together the weekend after next to do a HUGE field in the direct line of Lee's Retreat. That will be awesome. Did you see my last post? I went out last Sunday and found some nice relics as well....Plan on getting back up to those spots on Friday through Sunday. I will definitely have some stuff to post come Sunday ;) ;) Whites WILL strike again :D ;D

It sounds like you guys have a great field lined up! Has manganos been finding good relics lately? That guy is cool...I like the way he speaks the truth...about cryp...:D. You should hit some nice CW relics this weekend! Hmmmm...maybe a Confederate buckle. :o :D By the way, what is your best CW relic?

DJ_Quinn said:

Are you serious? ??? ::)

KirkPA said:
DJ_Quinn said:

Are you serious? ??? ::)

why does a metal detector beep i was just wondering because every time i pick up a whites machine i hear the gerbils going round on their wheel inside what do you think

;D

By the way...speaking of crypt... :-X I think it's time to bring a certain thread up to the top again... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back